• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which Laptop Soundcard?

Which Laptop Soundcard?

Just bought a laptop and looking at the various options for soundcards.
    USB, Firewire, PCMCIA etc.

I don't have a great deal of money to spend, but want to get something decent. I've been looking at the USB M-Audio Audiophile or the Firewire version, but I'm just not sure.

What soundcards do you other GPO/laptop users have? Are they any good?

I'd really appreciate some guidance on this as I'm not very well up on this kind of stuff - all I know is that I have a M-Audiophile 2496 in my desktop computer and that works just fine for me!

Thanks for your time!

Re: Which Laptop Soundcard?

As far as price/quality goes, I recommend M-Audio products.

I've just aquired the Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook (PCMCIA) card. So far, no issues. I recommend checking out the specs at their website.

Some folks are very weary of Soundblaster, so make your decision cautiously and wisely.
    Steve A. Gallant

USB and Firewire sound cards are great, and I use them for multitrack recording and other pro-audio situations. But for everyday stuff (listening to music, composing with GPO, etc.) do you really want to have to lug around a separate card, cables, and sometimes power supply, and have to hook it up every time you use your computer?

I have an Echo Indigo I/O PCMCIA card, which stays in my laptop permanently, sticks out just about the width of my thumb, and is perfect for most of my audio needs. I use it with GPO with no problem. If I need to record multiple tracks, I use an external card, but for most stereo playback and recording purposes, the Echo is perfect and doesn't require any lugging, cables, or extra thought.

If you don't do any audio recording, and are just looking for playback of GPO and other stuff, the original Echo Indigo (not I/O) is probably fine, and cheaper.

Talking Re: Which Laptop Soundcard?

Thanks Zoot!
    I've been looking at Edirol USB for the super fantastic laptop I've got on order...but the benefits you've listed really caught my eye! I definitely don't want to lug nothin' around if I don't have to and the idea of a card semi-permenantly taking residence (mostly) inside the hardware is also too good to pass up.
    Thanks again~

Orcas Island

I have had good success with the Echo Indigo. I've use it with GPO at many trade shows and hardly a problem. Soundblaster just recently came out with a PC Card but I have not used it yet (I''ll be testing one soon).

Gary Garritan

In a house

I've been using the Echo Indigo too for a year now and it works great.

Use the Echo Indigo IO. It's the best! You can go with an external, but it will be big and bulky. Hands down. . .ECHO INDIGO IO.

Go Back to forum