• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 33 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: There is no "Intellectual Property"

Share/Bookmark

There is no "Intellectual Property"

Recently the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association, of which my employer is a member) has announced a new policy to not speak of "intellectual property". The organization believes that the term has been perverted to make ideas and content equivalent (and in some cases superior) to physical property.

The CEA's position is that the US Constitution defines patents and copyrights. One can violate patent law, and one can violate copyright law, but you can't be prosecuted for simply "stealing" intellectual property.

The CEA has shown examples where a person downloaded music over the Internet and made copies for personal use, and was successfully sued by the RIAA for $150k. They also show examples of somebody attempting to steal a physical CD, getting detected at the door, returning it and getting a warning. They make the point that downloading music can have a higher penalty than stealing a car. And the RIAA wants the federal government to police and enforce the situation for them.

At a recent conference the RIAA spokesperson said that it was a matter of morality and ethics. That it would be immoral to condone or ignore theft, since it could undermine our society. As a response one of the attendees read some foul Gangsta Rap lyrics from a RIAA label. "This is the RIAA's morality", said the attendee.

The bottom line is that the CEA does not want people prosecuted for downloading stuff and making personal copies. People who crack codes, distribute and profit from copyrighted material, however, should be prosecuted for copyright violations. People who use patents without agreements from patent holders can be sued for patent infringement. But making copies for personal use, or having the ability to copy content for fair use should not be considered theft.

Anyway, it's an interesting position. It intends to protect consumers and those who make tools for consumers. And it intends to allow use of the law against those who profit illegally from copyrighted and patented content and ideas.

There is no such thing as intellectual property theft? What'ya think?

-JF

Re: There is no "Intellectual Property"

I first started having a problem with the term "Intellectual Property" back during the whole Napster thing when Metallica songs were being refered to as "Intellectual" Property.

- Mike Greene

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    At a recent conference the RIAA spokesperson said that it was a matter of morality and ethics. That it would be immoral to condone or ignore theft, since it could undermine our society. As a response one of the attendees read some foul Gangsta Rap lyrics from a RIAA label. "This is the RIAA's morality", said the attendee.

-JF
    LOL!!!!

When I think of morality and ethics, the last thing that comes to mind is the RIAA . They are the biggest thieves of the lot! (imho) . They lost their bread and butter by killing off the songwriter and started to lose money, so now they just sue everyone .

…2112
    P.S. you couldn't PAY me to own a Metallica CD
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Apparently one of the points made was that CD distribution is a racket, and the labels are as afraid of the distributors as anybody. (I have no idea if this is that case.) The RIAA seems to do whatever it can to keep the $15 CD business model, though.

-JF

There is no "Intellectual Property"

If artists can’t live from there own work, we go back to the monarchy. (But you never knew that in U.S., don’t you ?...)

Intellectual propriety is the tool of freedom’s artists.

We don’t know the ‘copyright’ thing, in Europe. It’s only a U.S. concept, not particularly favorable to artists.

We certainly don’t want it in Europe.

It’s not the time to cancel the intellectual property, but to cancel the ‘private copy’ concept, which is, in my opinion, fundamentally dishonest.

Tell me, do you fell the necessity to photocopy the book on your night table to read it in the living-room ?

Just take it.

I agree, the whole thing about "Intellectual Property" is getting out of control, and the term is already subverted into something that does not represent the reality. As the article says, it is more serious now to "steal" music from the internet than to steal the actual cd, what is the logic on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal
    It’s not the time to cancel the intellectual property, but to cancel the ‘private copy’ concept, which is, in my opinion, fundamentally dishonest.

Crystal, I disagree with you on that. It is not dishonest to copy your cds if you are not making money with it. Personally, I don´t care if people copy my compositions, as long as they don´t try to profit with my work. If they just want to listen, what is wrong with that?

It is not dishonest to copy your cds if you are not making money with it.

The ‘private’ copy is allowed only in a private field.

The web is the most public medium ever created.

Personally, I don´t care if people copy my compositions, as long as they don´t try to profit with my work. If they just want to listen, what is wrong with that?
    So, put them on the web...

As the article says, it is more serious now to "steal" music from the internet than to steal the actual cd, what is the logic on this?
    How many CDs have been downloaded ?

The article’s quote doesn’t say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guga Bernardo
    it is more serious now to "steal" music from the internet than to steal the actual cd, what is the logic on this?
    The logic is that it's a lot less likely you'll be caught and punished, so the penalty needs to be higher to serve as a deterrent. Online theft is also something more people are willing to do, because they don't see it as a crime, so once again the increased penalty compensates. And it's possible to steal a lot more when the booty takes up no space in your coat pocket. And once you've downloaded, the work of preparing for further distribution is already done. Increased penalty compensates.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 33 123411 ... LastLast