• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Where to put sample data on a G5?

Share/Bookmark

Where to put sample data on a G5?

I finally got myself a G5, but one problem is it can only hold two internal hard drives. This is a problem because I'm used to having separate system, sample data, and audio drives on my G4s. I prefer not to use external drives.

My plan was to partition the first internal drive and put the system on one partition and the sample data on the other. Then use drive #2 exclusively for audio.

But the guy at the store, who is normally reliable with information, says I shouldn't put anything else on the system drive, even if it's partitioned. He says the partitions are just folders, and any changes to sample data partition will further fragment the system partion. This is the opposite of how I'd always thought partitions worked.

I hate to put the samples on my audio drive because at times, that will be a VERY busy drive!

Anybody here an authority on OSX and know which way I should go? Thanks!

- Mike Greene

Re: Where to put sample data on a G5?

How did you setup your G4 ?
    I`m on a G4 and there are two connecters for ATA100/133
    and 2 connecters for ATA/66.
    Did you use the ATA/66 for the System and the
    two ATA 100/133 for Audio and Samples ?
    I`m asking this because , I now have two drives,
    one for the system and audio , and one more for Samples only,
    and was thinking of adding one more drive for audio.
    Thanks

And your question , how about adding a PCI to SATA card.
    I think you shouldn`t use this setup for the Sample drive because
    I heard that you might not get the best out of the SATA HDD.
    But thought you could use this for audio or the System
    (if its bootable I mean.)
    Or is there no place in your G5 to put the internal drive in ?

There's no need to partition in OS X. For more info on this subject, read Jason Hyerstay's comment in the partition section of this page:
    http://www.osxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12004

Why, may I ask, don't you want to use external drives?? I would recommend you put ALL your samples on separate drives, that have nothing else on them. I agree with the store guy; keep your system separate. Why not get a fast drive and put it in a Firewire 800 case and run your samples off the firewire bus? I always use separate drives for system, audio/MIDI, picture and samples. It keeps bottlenecks/troubleshooting at a minimum. Imagine your system drive going bad and having to reload all your samples along with everything else. Actually, I've partitioned my system drive in the past and run picture from the non system partition, but I wasn't editing or doing anything other than picture playback and the picture gets deleted once a project is done, unlike samples.
    Also if you use a sampler that requires a dongle, like Mach5, it's easy to move to another studio, just by bringing your sample drives and the dongle.
    My .02,
    _Scott

The only thing that is a drag with external drives is that they're never as fast in the transfer of data as internal ones, and this will affect track count.

Quote Originally Posted by Veron
    How did you setup your G4 ?
    I`m on a G4 and there are two connecters for ATA100/133
    and 2 connecters for ATA/66.
    Did you use the ATA/66 for the System and the
    two ATA 100/133 for Audio and Samples ?
    I`m asking this because , I now have two drives,
    one for the system and audio , and one more for Samples only,
    and was thinking of adding one more drive for audio.
    Thanks

And your question , how about adding a PCI to SATA card.
    I think you shouldn`t use this setup for the Sample drive because
    I heard that you might not get the best out of the SATA HDD.
    But thought you could use this for audio or the System
    (if its bootable I mean.)
    Or is there no place in your G5 to put the internal drive in ?
    Quote Originally Posted by spettigrew
    Why, may I ask, don't you want to use external drives??
    Hey! This is MY topic. I'll be the one asking the questions around here!!!

Oh . . . all right, I'll answer your questions . . .

1. I put my samples drive (and the system drive) on the 66 bus and my audio drives on the 100/133 bus. But I can't say whether maybe I should have had the samples drive on the faster 100/133 bus. G5s only have room for two drives! Weird, huh?

2. I don't want to use external drives because they're slower (as Ned sez), I don't have an available PCI slot (taken by ProTools HD3 Accel), I don't like clutter, I don't feel like turning on yet one more piece of gear each day, I don't trust them, and lastly, I jus' don't wanna!

- Mike Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa
    There's no need to partition in OS X. For more info on this subject, read Jason Hyerstay's comment in the partition section of this page:
    http://www.osxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12004
    Thanks for the link, Ned!

I understand Jason's reasoning, but I think my situation is better served by partitioning. If for no other reason, I like to have two system partitions in addition to the samples partition (unless someone knows that this sample partition would be harmful.)

- Mike Greene

Mike, I don't know if this will help you, but here's what I do. Note that I'm a working composer, using samples very regularly in critical conditions (tv series and such). Like you, I have a G5 (dual 2ghz). I use Logic audio and the EXS, and a boatload of samples (though not a VSL-sized boatload!).

I have 2 internal drives, each 160gb. Drive A contains everything, including sample library material. Drive B is the backup. I use CarbonCopy to make a clone of Drive A as often as I can remember (ideally, once a week). No partitions, no problems. I also regularly update permissions using the Disk Utility software included in your system.

Now, the only problem(! - yeah right) I'm having is that I'm running out of space for my sample material! I'm buying Opus 1 soon and will have to make some tough decisions then...

If you want to partition your drive, go ahead! It´s ok to do that as long as you choose well the sizes of your partitions, so that you don´t regret later.

Ned, your setup is very similar to mine: Logic, EXS, too many soft synths and a G5. I'm encouraged to hear you're getting good results with everything (I guess that includes audio tracks as well?) all on one drive!

I'm still assuming I'd want my samples (including soft synths) on a separate drive from my audio in order to increase performance/speed. Is this a good assumption?

- Mike Greene

Go Back to forum