• Register
  • Help

Topic: How the "Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums" Video Demo was made

How the "Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums" Video Demo was made

I have been getting several requests to explain how the "Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums" Video demo was made...

It's a little off topic, but OK... here goes, here is what we did to make the video:

We used 4 cameras...

Canon XL-1
    Canon GL-1
    Sony PD-170
    Sony VX-2100

But none of the cameras recorded any audio that we used. For that we used the laptop computer that you can sometimes see in the background located on my left.

It was running Nuendo 2.2 with an RME cardbus connected to an RME Multiface/Multiset for recording all audio. (I am and have been a Nuendo user for several years now... I love it... in fact, all of my recording and mixing is done "in the box" using Nuendo)

I wore a Lectrosonics lavalier mic for the main voice audio, and I was also using the AKG 414 that you can see in front of me occasionally. Both mics were sent to a Drawmer 1960 and the outputs of the Drawmer were sent to the RME box via standard XLR cables with TRS adaptors.

GigaStudio was running on a dedicated machine ( A standard Hewlett-Packard 3.2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 with 1 Gig of RAM and an RME HDSP 9652 audio card inserted where the modem card used to be... the GS3 computer was purchased from Best Buy)

The GigaStudio machine was connected via one ADAT optical lite pipe cable to the laptop's RME Multiface/Multiset interface. All drum kit audio comes DIRECTLY from that machine via the lite pipe with no tweaking... What you hear on the video is what came out of the GigaStudio box.

All raw video footage was loaded into Vegas Video 5 ( I am and have been a Vegas Video user since 2.0 )... The 4 cameras were then synced using a photo flash and rendered into a Quad monitor view that you can sometimes see during the video.

Next we used Gary Kleiner's "Excalibur" Script to do 'auto-switch' for the video... (basically, you simply put markers for where you want to switch to each camera and this script will make a new video track with those edits done for you)

We chose our dissolves and crossfades and then rendered the video into DVD format which was then rendered again to the current Windows Media format.

That's it! (for those who have not seen the video, it is here

click on the word 'video' or right click and choose 'Save Target As' to save to your computer)

If you want to hear what the drum kits sounds like that come with the library click here:

Best to all!

Larry Seyer
    View Larry Seyer's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Re: How the "Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums" Video Demo was made

Very cool!

I'm also a Vegas 5 user, since 2.0, and have done some multi-camera stuff.

Did you lock the cameras together with color-black sync? You prabably didn't need it, since your cuts were pretty rapid. One of my projects at work requires mutiple cameras on the same screen for an extended time. I'd love to have higher end cameras that I can frame sync. It would be great to truly sync the audio to ensure no drift.

Right now we have a box that composites the video into a 2x2 array, and we record everything, including audio, live. The quality isn't very good, but it's a simple workflow.

What I'd really love is to lock the cameras, and to have them stream directly to hard drives, then I'd just plug the drives into the PC, drop the video on the tracks and tell it to render. I already record the audio into the PC as a backup. The live recording is done blind. It's a consumer device, so there is no metering. On the PC I just go with 24-bits and leave lots of headroom. I'm sure not to clip and can normalize/compress as needed.

I've got to look into this Excalibur software. Sounds like a real time saver. I did a more traditional three camera shoot with my son for a scholarship attempt the other day. Scripting would have really simplified things.

I'll be at NAB next month with a shopping list. I've been there many times as a vendor and a gawker. It will be fun to go there with a real budget and some specific goals. And I'll get to go to the Tascam booth and ask about GigaPulse VST and future GS3 updates. Should be fun!

Go Back to forum