• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: distortion on some stereo steinway samples?

Share/Bookmark

distortion on some stereo steinway samples?

Hi,

I've finally got Garritan up and running.
    It all works fine but I notice that some of the "STEREO" steinway samples are distorted, especially on the b notes of two octaves of the lower register (a few others are affected). The right seems fine but the left is quite noticeable distorted when played loudly.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have a midi track set up in cubase with garritan as a VST.
    No distortion visible in meters etc. and it sounds like it is on the recording itself. Perhaps the left mic of the stereo pair was overloading on recording?

I use the piano's alot and this renders them somewhat useless for me.

Cheers,
    J

Re: distortion on some stereo steinway samples?

I just checked all of my GPO Steinway samples and did not find any distorted notes.

How are you checking the sounds? Are you using a music keyboard with your sequencer?

Regards,

Larry Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Check your volume settings on the kontakt play as well as pan for the pianies. I can tell you this happened to me once and the solution was such.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    I just checked all of my GPO Steinway samples and did not find any distorted notes.

How are you checking the sounds? Are you using a music keyboard with your sequencer?

Regards,

Larry Alexander
    Hi, Larry..

I have a fatar keyboard set up to play midi into one midi track of cubase sx3 via midex 3, then simply asign that midi tracks output to my garritan VST. The output is playing directly out of my digidesign 002 into my monitors and headphones etc. The distortion appears only on the left side and is present in all my headphones and speakers etc. I wonder if there is some master level somewhere that I am missing.

Cheers,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Check your volume settings on the kontakt play as well as pan for the pianies. I can tell you this happened to me once and the solution was such.
    I have reduced my levels in the Kontact player to near silent and it it still distorting. The pan is central for the keys on the kontact player and the level is really low.

Hmm.. any other ideas?

This is beginning to drive me a little nuts...

I have established that it is not the hardware as I have tried other outputs and the sound is the same. It is not the speakers/headphones as I have swapped left for right etc. I cannot see how it is anything to do with my setup??!!

NOTE: It only seems to occur, mostly on my lower b note samples, when "PLAYED AT A VELOCITY OF 96 OR MORE", i.e. the second (loud) dynamic sample (I believe there are two dynamic samples per note and these are then made louder/quiter as required). My HD600 headphones definately make the sound stand out more than on my other cheaper ones.
    At a velocity of 95, fine. 96, there it is, quiet I may add.

What's more confusing is when I turn the tune button, the distortion etc. changes with it. I get a lower pitched slow distorted sound.

Can you set up a little MIDI test for me by entering maybe 4 "B" notes (1, 2 and maybe 3 octaves below middle C. One test at a time) at a velocity of 127 and listen for the slightest of crackling etc. on the left?

Perhaps I'm being overly fussy, but it's bothering me..

Jules,
    Are you getting interference from a low level 60 Hz hum, which is very close to a "B" and would also possibly account for the change in character when you change the tuning?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Julescs
    Hi, Larry..

I have a fatar keyboard set up to play midi into one midi track of cubase sx3 via midex 3, then simply asign that midi tracks output to my garritan VST. The output is playing directly out of my digidesign 002 into my monitors and headphones etc. The distortion appears only on the left side and is present in all my headphones and speakers etc. I wonder if there is some master level somewhere that I am missing.

Cheers,
    J
    It looks to me like you ought to check your sound card and/or speaker settings. I would first check operation using your Fatar and the stand alone version of GPO.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    It looks to me like you ought to check your sound card and/or speaker settings. I would first check operation using your Fatar and the stand alone version of GPO.

Richard
    Ok, I'll try these last couple of ideas over the next day and post results.
    I have a few things left to try.
    I'll post a few samples of the sound so you can hear it when I get around to it.

Cheers,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Julescs
    Ok, I'll try these last couple of ideas over the next day and post results.
    I have a few things left to try.
    I'll post a few samples of the sound so you can hear it when I get around to it.

Cheers,
    J
    Ok, I've tried a different sound card and the same problem occurs. I have also tried using garritan standalone using my fatar to two sound cards. Same again. It is not the speakers, as I hear it though headphones also, direct from both sound cards I have tried.
    Listen for yourself...
    (I have upgraded the Kontact player to the latest, could it be that?)

Please note that it shows itself as a kind of clicking/fuzzy sound.

Here is the b note:

http://www.eternalvibe.com/samples/noteBv127dist.mp3

Here is the b note pitch shifted in garritan, as mentioned before

http://www.eternalvibe.com/samples/n...tpitchdown.mp3

Anyone else any other ideas?
    J

Go Back to forum