• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Speaking of Loops....

Share/Bookmark

Speaking of Loops....

I know this belongs in the Virtual instrument section but since people don't seem to visit it that often I'll put it here.

Has anybody used these three things I'd like a comparison between Reason, Live and Stylus RMX for producing rhythm tracks using loops.

Cheers,

Jose

Re: Speaking of Loops....

Jose,

You, loops? noooooooo

Anyway, I can't compare as I only own REASON I have to say I do like it for beat or loop making. I think the audio quality is so so. I usually REWIRE it to LOGIC and use the plugs for sweeting or I bounce out of reason. Though I recently sold a spot for a cable tv and I had done all the mixing in reason.
    The demos for reason are very good and give you and idea of what you can do if you are a super programmer. I'm not a super programmer, but I have to admit that automating in REASON is dead simple. You can have a device, like a delay, and you can add it to a track and record a sequence on it just like any other instrument, and when you replay the take-there's your automated device moving just like you made it too. VERY simple AND fun.
    The REX player is straight forward and there a lot of user demos and files.
    REASON is my answer for drum tracks and loops (along with NI Battery). I think in the next 6 months, I would like to get RMX so that I can play with the REX loops out of reason.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP
    Jose,

You, loops? noooooooo
    LOL! I thought the same thing!

If you want to be a lazy MF like me, get Stylus RMX. It's emphasis is using or modifying loops they already made. You can roll your own, but then you're just using your sequencer, which doeasn't seem to be what you're after. Half of the music I did for "Unexplained Mysteries" would be a patch from Atmosphere with a loop(s) from Stylus (preRMX) underneath. Fast and easy!

I've never used Reason or Live, but everybody who does seems to love them! Their approach seems to be creating, rather than using premade loops. I have total respect for that, but this brings us back to my "lazy MF" situation!

- Mike Greene

Oh you guys are so funny.

My friend John Debney is always saying I should get more into loops. Something about being more hip or something like that. He was telling me this as we where driving to Mortons is his brand new Ferrari.

As we got back to his studio I hopped out of his car. After a brief good bye I hopped into my 10 year old SAAB and thought,"ya' know, maybe he's got something there".

So I've been trying. It's hard. I have a hardtime fitting my music around loops. I usually just opt to midi all my drum parts. I've only used loops on three cues that I can think of in about a dozen or so movies. But, the guys that program loops are better at it than I am so I'm working on it.

Right now I use Reason. Debney uses Reason and Live last time I was over there. I like Reason synths but their drums are just too stiff and everything I do to tweek them just takes forever. And the sound quality of the loops like Jon P. said aren't as good as what I've heard from stylus rmx.

Cheers,

Jose

Cool Re: Speaking of Loops....

Live + Beatslicer ($35).....plus RMX, ....+ any rex cd you like....endless loops....

...drag and drop rmx midi clips into Live's midi clip folder.....place in session tracks.....duplicate n1+..........inf., alter midi to taste....use follow after to
    automate playback in predetermined or random order.......and you have a whole
    track.....

Jose,
    Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    Oh you guys are so funny.

Right now I use Reason. Debney uses Reason and Live last time I was over there. I like Reason synths but their drums are just too stiff and everything I do to tweek them just takes forever. And the sound quality of the loops like Jon P. said aren't as good as what I've heard from stylus rmx.
    Not disagreeing because it's probably a matter of taste so let me clarify a bit. I think the REX player in REason is great. If you have REASON, you got a library of rex files, plus you can download the user custom files. I would think this, plus the added bonus of some of the other instruments, is a great thing to have with RMX.

In regards to sound quality in REASON, I think sound quality is better to tweak when reason is playing along with your DAW. You can make REASON sound good in terms of audio quality, but I think there's some tweaking and mixing to do.

If you going to do you orchestrating in DP and want to bring REASON along side, I think that's cool and easily done.
    But as Mike and Moose three say, RMX is right there for beat manipulation. The Chaos Designer seems to be WICKED.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

loops ahhh....noo...ok if your going to use loops then use two loops and cut the frequencies so the mesh together, ie, hats , the other loop basses...
    or take loops and stretch them out from there slow tempo to fit your bmp.
    Because if you just use the loops you'll sound like everyone else.
    Man the only time i use loops is to cut them up and map them to keys, of course if your in a super rush then I guess you can just grab some loops and well stretch them to tempo. I use Sonar, I have tried Live but after a while I just went back to sonar. I didn't think Reason is was that great for synths or drums, I just couldn't get into it. I sometime's use Project 5, because that way I can use Sampletank2 and Sonic Realities Drums etc. And of course I haven't written music for film yet i am working on it that and games for music.
    loops....mmmm....mmmm....RnB, hip hop, DnB, so many others all come from loops so I can't diss it.

Jose,

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    So I've been trying. It's hard. I have a hardtime fitting my music around loops. I usually just opt to midi all my drum parts. I've only used loops on three cues that I can think of in about a dozen or so movies. But, the guys that program loops are better at it than I am so I'm working on it.
    i just thought of something. Before REASON and Live came out, I would use MIDI samples. Twiddly Bits are drum loops that are in MIDI form. So you have the beat you want, you just have to have the samples to back it up.

sincerely,

Jonathan

hey I just got an email from CakeWalk and it includes a tip about using the Multiband Compresser as a desser, and it refers to using loops in a mix by dessing frequencies to get it to fit in the mix better.

"Another use you might find for the Sonitus multiband compressor is to tame a drum loop. Many composers/producers these days use stereo drum loops (like the excellent SmartLoops collection offered by Cakewalk) to build very realistic drum parts for their projects. Of course being a stereo file, the user has no control over the mix of the different drums that make up any given loop. In some cases you might find the bass drum, snare drum or hi-hats jumping out of the mix and not blending as you wish. Use the de-essing technique above, but do so on the frequencies that make up the sound you want to tame"

I thought I would post that since it has to do with using loops in the mix. Of course I am sure you could just go to CakeWalks page and read up on the tip.
    Also a great place for midi drum grooves to use with your samples:
    http://www.groovemonkee.com/home.php

Something to realize with RMX is that you can actually combine real-time performance and loops together.

In groove menu mode, you can trigger loops in real-time from your keyboard to create new ones. It's like playing your own pattern, but with loops instead of single hits as the foundation.

There are also tons of ways to use the loops in unique ways. The key thing about RMX is not only the sound, but the way it is so much fun to be creative with it and make it your own.

spectrum

Go Back to forum