• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Freeze Tracks and the Kontakt Player

Share/Bookmark

Freeze Tracks and the Kontakt Player

I have been using GPO with DP 4.12 and have not had any problems whatsoever--HOWEVAH, there is one thing that I would like to do that I can't do and that is create "freeze" tracks of different selected instruments in ONE INSTANCE of the Kontakt player.

It seems that if you load up 8 slots with instruments, you have to freeze ALL 8 instruments, otherwise if you do it incrementally or in small groups, the program will OVERWRITE the first frozen track.

It would be nice if selected parts (of the 8 instruments) in ONE instance of the Kontakt player could be broken out and made into a "frozen" tracks. In DP 4, it's difficult to deal with individual instruments in the Kontakt player although they play as advertised. If you apply Reverb to one instrument, it applies to the whole 8 in the Kontakt instance. I understand this is not true in PC land and other sequencers. But, for the Mac and DP 4, I see no other way.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Freeze Tracks and the Kontakt Player

Hi Jack, the reason is because the Kontakt player is basically inserted on a stereo track just as an EQ or some other type of plugin. Load each instrument into it's own "instrument track" (Kontakt player)

The instrument track is a stereo track, so it can't be 8 stereo tracks, but you can accomplish what you are wanting to do by loading only one sound into each Kontakt player. You could also use a separate stereo bus and record the instruments a phrase at a time, this would be good if you wanted to redo a few notes in the midi track, and didn't want to waste time re-recording (freezing) the whole track.
    So, let's say you had a string quartet, you would have four instrument tracks in your mixing board with just one instrument in each player. As far as I can tell, having multiple players does not bog down the CPU and ram, it is the instruments loaded that does that, well from what I can tell.

Like this....

dpDan

Thanks Dan. I do exactly what you proposed by loading only a single instrument in a Kontakt player when I have 8 instruments or UNDER. However, in a recent score, I used 14 instruments and with only 8 Kontakt players, how do you accomplish what you proposed?

My solution was to load a small group of instruments what I thought could be perfected, as much as possible, through editing and mixing and then freezing--hoping I wouldn't have to come back to them later..........

If we had 14 Kontakt players, no problem.

Thanks again, Dan

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I have never tried this because I don't use GPO in the Mac but, you could disregard my previous idea and try this new one.

Let's use your example of 14 instruments, that would be two Kontakt players. Load up each of the eight slots in the first player, and the remaining six instruments in the second player. Now when you want to freeze a track, just turn on only one midi track per player, this way you could record (freeze) two tracks per pass, just make sure to change the midi channels on the second player to 9-14, instead of the 1-8 default. Of course you will have to make sure that your midi channels for these 9-14 instruments coincide with your midi track channels.

Try it.... and let us know.

Now after I read your post again, I see the equipment you are using,
    as some people say,... (it always makes me laugh) GOOD LORD! you have a fast PC laptop. For about $200.00, you could get V-STack and midioverlan, and use GPO in the PC where it was designed to be used to it's full potential. Your stystem would fly!!!!!! You would be so much more happy. I know alot of people that are afraid of the PC/Windows platform after being Mac guys for so long, and I understand that, but you already know both platforms. You are ahead of the game already.

dpDan

Maybe you're missing an important point, or maybe I'm missing the point completely.

The kontakt player has 8 stereo outputs. You can insert 8 audio tracks in your sequencer and route the input of each one from a different Kontakt player output. In Kontact you select it by clicking next to that thing that looks like a euro sign in the bottom right hand corner of the black window. It will come up with a 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc selector.

In Sonar, freezing the synth this way render 8 seperate files.

[QUOTE=DPDAN]I have never tried this because I don't use GPO in the Mac but, you could disregard my previous idea and try this new one.

Let's use your example of 14 instruments, that would be two Kontakt players. Load up each of the eight slots in the first player, and the remaining six instruments in the second player. Now when you want to freeze a track, just turn on only one midi track per player, this way you could record (freeze) two tracks per pass, just make sure to change the midi channels on the second player to 9-14, instead of the 1-8 default. Of course you will have to make sure that your midi channels for these 9-14 instruments coincide with your midi track channels.

Try it.... and let us know.

DAN:

Tried it, Dan. Selected the Player track and the 1st instrument (MIDI track). Did the audio freeze thing.

Then, did the same thing again only this time used the original Player track and the second instrument (MIDI track). It OVERWRITES the first freeze track.

Dan: On the second point about using V-Stack--my Mac has a 5400 rpm HD and the PC has a stock 4200 rpm HD. Would that make any difference in the setup you described?

Jack

SEPHERITOH:

Yes, this is possible with the PC, but not on the Mac. Hence, my inquisition into this problem. Thanks for your response, but I don't think your procedure will help me when using my Mac.

Jack

If I'm not mistaken, GPO will run from memory on the PC, so the speed of the hard drive wouldn't matter -- unless you are using DFD, which I don't believe is recommended. At issue could be the amount of the PCs memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    SEPHERITOH:

Yes, this is possible with the PC, but not on the Mac. Hence, my inquisition into this problem. Thanks for your response, but I don't think your procedure will help me when using my Mac.

Jack
    I see. I did not realise the mac has that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB
    If I'm not mistaken, GPO will run from memory on the PC, so the speed of the hard drive wouldn't matter -- unless you are using DFD, which I don't believe is recommended. At issue could be the amount of the PCs memory.
    JackB:

Thanks for the information. I won't be using DFD. My PCs memory (RAM) is 1.5 GB if that's the kind of memory you are referring to.

Jack

Question Re: Freeze Tracks and the Kontakt Player

Sepheritoh said:
    The kontakt player has 8 stereo outputs. You can insert 8 audio tracks in your sequencer and route the input of each one from a different Kontakt player output. In Kontact you select it by clicking next to that thing that looks like a euro sign in the bottom right hand corner of the black window. It will come up with a 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc selector. In Sonar, freezing the synth this way render 8 seperate files.
    To which Rhap2 replied:
    Yes, this is possible with the PC, but not on the Mac.
    I use a Mac with DP4.52. I'm unclear also about the function of the 1/2, 3/4 routing. Would someone explain this and WHY it won't work on a Mac?

Thanks!

David

Go Back to forum