• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I Got GS3 Today Too! Help Pick Me Out A Computer!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation I Got GS3 Today Too! Help Pick Me Out A Computer!

How weird it is for me and cptexas to get GS3 on the same day. And I'm also in the same boat as him as I've yet to get my new computer. Buying a new computer is worse than buying a car for me. I could care less what a car has in it just as long as it gets me from A to B. A computer though...

Anyways. I have a few computers in mind. Maybe some of you would like to help me choose since I'm so indecisive. :-) Here we go:

1: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...775450&CatId=0

2: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...089029&CatId=0

3: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...260806&CatId=0

4: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...157275&CatId=0

and yes, I only have $500 to spend. I still need to get my M-Audio Audiophile 192 sound card. Then... I will be in GS3 heaven.

But yeah... It would be very appreciated to get your favorite computer among the four listed here.

-Kristopher

Re: I Got GS3 Today Too! Help Pick Me Out A Computer!

Well first, none of these have any hard drives. Second, save some bucks and get the Audiophile 24/96 card instead. Giga3 does not go above 96k.
    Find an AMD64 Barebones if you can. Also, none of these have graphics cards or even integrated graphics. So, with having to buy hard drives, graphics card, sound card and other peripherials, you'll have to sink ANOTHER $500 in it to have a decent machine. Just my 2cents.
    But... If I HAD to get one, it would be the 3rd one with the 865 chipset.

Regards,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by crna59
    Well first, none of these have any hard drives. Second, save some bucks and get the Audiophile 24/96 card instead. Giga3 does not go above 96k.
    Find an AMD64 Barebones if you can. Also, none of these have graphics cards or even integrated graphics. So, with having to buy hard drives, graphics card, sound card and other peripherials, you'll have to sink ANOTHER $500 in it to have a decent machine. Just my 2cents.
    But... If I HAD to get one, it would be the 3rd one with the 865 chipset.

Regards,
    Bruce
    Well, I have 2 hard drives on stand by. A graphic card isn't very important to me so I'll pick up a decent cheap one. With a KVM switch, I'll be sharing a mouse, monitor, and mouse between my current computer and my new computer. To save space and money. The sound card is already mentioned. So No.3 is your choice. Is a 865 chipset the new thing or something?

-Kristopher

Go with 3 or 4. Just last week Anandtech upgraded their cheap PC recommendations. They no longer recommend socket 478 for Intel or Socket A for AMD.

-JF

Hey, Kris!
    It's Chris!
    Now isn't that a coincidence?
    I'm looking for a GS machine myself (as you know) and I think I'm going for a Compaq Persario. The one I'm shooting for is $1400 plus the audio card which I will get l8er.
    For that much I will get 2gb RAM, 3.2 GHz p4 processor, 160 gb hd, and a 17 inch monitor.

Keep in mind when getting a graphics card that the quality of the card will determine your maximum screen resolution, and, as I just discovered a couple hours ago, your giga screen can get really crowded really quick--especially in the instrument editor.
    I would recomend more than 1024x768 pixel resolution.
    I don't know how experienced you are with computers, but I wouldn't be comfortable putting in my own hard drives and stuff like that. I would recomend the Compaq. This is the one I'm gonna buy once I have enough money:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...computer_store
    If you click 'customize' you can add more RAM, a monitor, and a bigger hard drive, which is what I'll do.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

EDIT: and one more thing--Get at least 1 gig of RAM. Then you can load more samples!

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Go with 3 or 4. Just last week Anandtech upgraded their cheap PC recommendations. They no longer recommend socket 478 for Intel or Socket A for AMD.

-JF
    Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

-Kristopher

Never mind, the CPU is a retail box, not OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Hey, Kris!
    It's Chris!
    Now isn't that a coincidence?
    I'm looking for a GS machine myself (as you know) and I think I'm going for a Compaq Persario. The one I'm shooting for is $1400 plus the audio card which I will get l8er.
    For that much I will get 2gb RAM, 3.2 GHz p4 processor, 160 gb hd, and a 17 inch monitor.

Keep in mind when getting a graphics card that the quality of the card will determine your maximum screen resolution, and, as I just discovered a couple hours ago, your giga screen can get really crowded really quick--especially in the instrument editor.
    I would recomend more than 1024x768 pixel resolution.
    I don't know how experienced you are with computers, but I wouldn't be comfortable putting in my own hard drives and stuff like that. I would recomend the Compaq. This is the one I'm gonna buy once I have enough money:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...computer_store
    If you click 'customize' you can add more RAM, a monitor, and a bigger hard drive, which is what I'll do.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

EDIT: and one more thing--Get at least 1 gig of RAM. Then you can load more samples!

Wow. Very erie!

$1400 is just too much for me right now. I gotta go the cheap route but still decent. I'm pretty experienced with computers. I can put one together and do all the hard drives and stuff so getting a barebones system is no problem to me. Thanks for the tip on the video card. I gotta make sure to find one that supports that high of a resolution because I plan on filling that screen up pretty quickly :-)

As far as the memory goes, I'm gonna get that seperate as most companies always overcharge you for the little things like that. Pricewatch.com is a good resource to find all the good deals on computer stuff. I live by it. I'm a cheap bastard :-)

Anyways, thanks for the tips. I'll race you to see who gets their GS3 running first heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Never mind, the CPU is a retail box, not OEM.
    Huh? You lost me. Nevermind what?

-Kristopher

Quote Originally Posted by leavinghope
    I'll race you to see who gets their GS3 running first heh.
    I won!!
    I had it running last night!
    (although I couldn't hear anything)
    But that's only 'cause I don't have a GSIF card.
    I'll fix that sooner or later.

I didn't think about that with the RAM. I could just get 512 meg which will bring the computer's price down to $920 and get the 2 gb of RAM from pricewatch.com for $212 and I'll be in good shape!
    Thanks!
    That's a really cool site!
    Maybe I'll get another hard drive there while I'm at it!

Chris

PS: Would it be more effective to buy RAM in many small peices or one or two large peices?

Go Back to forum