• Register
  • Help

Topic: On my way to.........

Share/Bookmark

On my way to.........

I'm on my way to meet an owner/director/producer of an independant film production studio today to audition three scenes of an inde I rescored for him. If it goes well, this will be a big step in the realization of my dream. He does more than one production a year and has gotten several films to festivals over the past few. He seems like a good up and comer. Anyway, I just wanted to thank all the people who have helped me for over a year now on this forum. Gary, Joseph, Styxx, DP Dan, Falcon, Tweedy, just to name a few. Of course GPO made it's appearance in many of the demos I will be showing including two of the three scenes for this specific movie. If he likes the work I did for those scenes, he might want me to rescore the whole thing. He also has a few shorts and a feature length production coming up. So today I took the day off from the crawlspace I have been in for the past week running ductwork to pursue the dream one more step. Thank you all and for those of you who are pursuing this same dream, keep with it and just take a small step everyday. They add-up. Faster than you might think. I give it one to two years and I'll be hanging up the tin snips forever. Not because I'll be a millionaire composer but because I WILL be able to replace my average salary as an HVAC tech with atleast an average salary as a composer. I dont know who said it but some one basically said, "Dont try to make money to make yourself happy. Do something that makes you happy and eventually, the money will come." That is what I see working for me. We are all surrounded by lots of people here that are doing this right now. It is very attainable. Ok, now I'm just blabbering. Thanks for the listen though, and everything else.

Eric

Oops, and Alan ofcourse. Thanks Alan

Re: On my way to.........

Best of luck Eric. I'll keep my toes crossed for you.

Good luck!!! I'll hope for the best for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    I dont know who said it but some one basically said, "Dont try to make money to make yourself happy. Do something that makes you happy and eventually, the money will come."
    Those are great words to live by! Best of luck to you!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: On my way to.........

That's what I like to hear (or read) someone getting a chance to be heard! Eric, my wishes of luck for you. Keeping my finger, toes, and eyes crossed!
    Keep us posted and many prayers of support!
    Knock 'em dead, Eric!
    Styxx

Good luck, man. Please give us an update when you know for sure...!
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

That's great Eric,

I hope you get the gig!

dpdan

This is great news for you Eric. Best of luck!!

Smile Re: On my way to.........

I'm back. Well, He does want me to rescore the film but sort of eluded to the fact that it would be for a small fee up front and more on the back end if it sells. Not too exciting financially. I'm a little torn to be honest. No specifics were mentioned yet but it seems like he dropped a lot of hints about money being tight. It ended with him telling me he would get back with me after he listened through some more of my demos with his associates. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. The movie isnt the greatest and I'm not really convinced that it will ever make it to any kind of distribution. That kills the "back end" theory. I'm just speaking out-loud here but I've got a number in my head that I think I will ask for and I'll even let him back it down a bit from there, but if it comes down to me doing it for free up-front, I think I will decline. I'm pretty sure that I should atleast earn enough to expand my studio by a library and a hard drive or another pc. Something to make the next project that much better. Believe me, I'm no hot-shot calling the shots. But I do think that at times it is better to establish that I AM and my product IS worth something, not nothing. My demo reel is slowly growing without an indie film right now and as nice as it might be to add an indie to it, I dont think it is worth the three months of nights and weekends slaving away at someone elses project. Anyway, just an update. I appreciate everyone's support. I read here daily but dont have much time to write anymore. Thanks everyone.

Eric

I agree with you completely. Don't ignore your instincts on this one or you could regret taking the project later on. If it's a full length film, it will take a lot of your time and effort, which could possibly take you away from something that would be more worth your time. Let your heart be your guide. It's good news though that they liked your work! That's very positive feedback IMO. Congrats are still in order.

Go Back to forum