• Register
  • Help

Topic: NI Komplete - confused about upgrade policy?

Share/Bookmark

NI Komplete - confused about upgrade policy?

I bought NI Komplete when it first came out, using my licence for Battery to upgrade to it at the special introductory price. I didn't however sign up to the Komplete Care package for discounted upgrades.

I'm now interested in upgrading to Kontakt 2.0, but I'm unsure where I stand, and don't seem to be enlightened by the NI website. I see there is now a Komplete 2, and it says something about how it now includes Kontakt 2.0, Battery 2.0 etc automatically. So I thought maybe I need to upgrade from Komplete 1 to Komplete 2. But on the upgrades page, it only describes upgrading from various single application combinations to Komplete 2, not upgrading from Komplete 1!

Has anyone made the move to Kontakt 2.0 from their Kontakt component of Komplete 1? If so, please tell me what to do.

I also have a separate single licence for Kompakt, if that makes any difference.

On a related matter, I fear that by the time I've konquered this konundrum, my kommand of English will be so kontorted that I'll be no longer kapable of using the letter k . . . I mean "k" . . . no, hang on - I meant to type K . . .

K!

KKKKKKK!!!

Konfound it!

Re: NI Komplete - confused about upgrade policy?

If you go to the online shop at NI's website, there is a page for upgrades, and if you scroll down part of the way, you'll see the 7 product user upgrade to Komplete 2, which the way I read it, includes Komplete 1, and which states as follows:

"NI KOMPLETE 2, 7 Product User Edition
    NI KOMPLETE 2 Upgrade for customers who own at least seven single products from NI KOMPLETE 2 (e.g. NI KOMPLETE 1)(REAKTOR SESSION also qualifies). NI KOMPLETE 2 does not qualify! More...
    Price: 119,00 USD"

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/inde..._de&no_cache=1

You might want to verify with NI, but the way I read that, all Komplete 1 users can upgrade to Komplete 2 for $119 USD.

Thanks! Yep, that looks right. Seems a bit too good to be true though, as that would get me the upgrade to Kontakt, as well as those to Battery 2 and Absynth 3, for 99 Euros! Whereas the upgrade to Kontakt 2 ALONE is 149 Euros.

I'll email them to confirm. All I really want from Kontakt 2 is the program change functionality. It would be worth it for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    On a related matter, I fear that by the time I've konquered this konundrum, my kommand of English will be so kontorted that I'll be no longer kapable of using the letter k . . . I mean "k" . . . no, hang on - I meant to type K . . .

K!

KKKKKKK!!!

Konfound it!
    The protagonist of Kafka's The Trial was called "K". Koincidence? I think not.

You, sir, are K. inkarnate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax
    NI KOMPLETE 2 Upgrade for customers who own at least seven single products from NI KOMPLETE 2 (e.g. NI KOMPLETE 1)(REAKTOR SESSION also qualifies). NI KOMPLETE 2 does not qualify! More...
    Price: 119,00 USD"

You might want to verify with NI, but the way I read that, all Komplete 1 users can upgrade to Komplete 2 for $119 USD.
    So let me get this straight. NI Komplete 1 users, for $119, get the four products that weren't in KOMPLETE 1, plus the upgrades of KONTAKT, BATTERY and ABSYNTH.

Owners of the original KOMPLETE 2, on the other hand, who have already shelled out rather more to NI, and are only asking for the 3 upgrades - rather than all the products which are in KOMPLETE 2 but not KOMPLETE 1 - may not use the same upgrade path. Instead they must either pay the exorbitant, and quite frankly risky, CARE PACKAGE fee (it worked out at about $400 here in the UK, and, with a quarter of the year gone, the individual upgrade prices so far only amount to a fraction of this) or the individual upgrade routes.

Doesn't that seem slightly backwards and an extremely stupid way to treat loyal cutomers? It's as though Steinberg had just announced that SX4 will be free to new customers, but anyone who has SX3 will have to pay a $400 upgrade fee.

I personally went with the CARE PACKAGE, but only because the ad suggested it would be a large saving over the year. With the first three upgrades over, and nothing further announced, it's becoming clear that this might have been a bit of a fib. The only way to get your money's worth from the CARE PACKAGE is to buy additional products at the discounted rate, which means I gave NI a load of money as a way of promising to give them a lot more.

Go Back to forum