• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Topic: "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here" - TV news show cue

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Cool "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here" - TV news show cue

    Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here, a Sony ACIDPlanet Song listing

    I wrote this tune, and inadvertantly realized that it spoke right to the issue that Garritan raised in the thread about refunding to a user that expected GPO to be able to load in HALion 3 simply because Gary didn't exclude the idea on the packaging.

    Anyway, it was fun to write this piece. The fact that I used Garritan libraries in both HALion3 (Auto-Alternating Spicatto Strings - HALion 3 Bundled Content) and GPO (Short and Sustained agressive strings), and used both technolgies in the same project is icing on the cake. It's also a testament to NI and Steinberg in the high quality of the underlying technology they provide, as well as the incredible artistry in Garritan's work to foster such expressive and creative instruments in their own right. They stand on their own and play well with others. Who could ask for anything more?

    The ACIDPlanet page has a high-level breakdown of the makeup of the cue. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them here. Cheers!
    Last edited by Houston Haynes; 03-25-2005 at 08:21 PM. Reason: wanted folks to under stand that I was using two different data sets - but from the same developer ;)
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

  2. #2

    Re: "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here" - TV news show cue

    Wow! I don't know what else to say - It's great!
    Last edited by Stephanie Pray; 03-25-2005 at 08:03 PM. Reason: forgot to say that I liked it. As is, could be construed the wrong way.

  3. #3

    Re: "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here" - TV news show cue

    Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here, a Sony ACIDPlanet Song listing

    I wrote this tune, and inadvertantly realized that it spoke right to the issue that Garritan raised in the thread about refunding to a user that expected GPO to be able to load in HALion 3 simply because Gary didn't exclude the idea on the packaging.
    In the description on ACIDPlanet you say you use Ozone 3. What units of Ozone did you use?

    I used Ozone 2 a couple of years ago on some Piano CDs, but haven't used it since. Is Ozone 3 a significant upgrade in what it does?

    Another question. Since I'm fairly new to using samples and sequencers, having only done live recording in the past, at what point do you go from the midi output to a straight wave and work only with the wave? Or does it matter? I am inclinded to produce a fairly dry wave, then work with the wave? Is this the right approach? Or should I put plug-ins in the chain in the sequencer? Anyway, thanks.

    I'm using Cubase SX2, solo instruments in GPO, a couple of pianos, some synth tones and bongs, etc. I use Audition for waves. I have an E-MU 1820m card.

  4. #4

    Re: "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here" - TV news show cue

    Quote Originally Posted by JackB
    In the description on ACIDPlanet you say you use Ozone 3. What units of Ozone did you use?
    I used the Paragraphic EQ, Multiband Compressor, and the Loudness Maximizer/Dither. This was a mix for TV, so there was a need to punch everything up a bit while rolling off the low end (to save the cue from rejection because of it triggering the TV limiter due to all of the low-end energy). The multi-band is really the key element here, and their MBIT+ dither is as nice as any.

    Quote Originally Posted by JackB
    I used Ozone 2 a couple of years ago on some Piano CDs, but haven't used it since. Is Ozone 3 a significant upgrade in what it does?
    For me, having Ozone as a native VST effect is the nicest thing about it. But I also think that it's more efficient and has several features under the hood that make it a no-brainer for me to use on every mix I produce. It's been so long since I've used Ozone 1 or 2 that I can't list the differences - I just know I would never go back.

    Quote Originally Posted by JackB
    Another question. Since I'm fairly new to using samples and sequencers, having only done live recording in the past, at what point do you go from the midi output to a straight wave and work only with the wave? Or does it matter? I am inclinded to produce a fairly dry wave, then work with the wave? Is this the right approach? Or should I put plug-ins in the chain in the sequencer? Anyway, thanks.
    The answers to your questions depend on the amount of resources that you're taking up with the virtual tracks, and how important it is for you to be able to continue working with them until the very last step in your project. I tend to split the difference and only go the the freeze function when I want to run a high load of VSTi tracks and a convolution engine on the same machine at the same time. This allows me the option to "unfreeze" and make changes as necessary.

    However, I have sometimes rendered a section or two when I know that I'm done with it, and unloading the VSTi (typically samplers that are taking a large amount of memory) to allow other stuff to have the foreground. That's pretty rare for me, though, as I have two machines with VST System Link between them.

    Quote Originally Posted by JackB
    I'm using Cubase SX2, solo instruments in GPO, a couple of pianos, some synth tones and bongs, etc. I use Audition for waves. I have an E-MU 1820m card.
    SX 2 has a servicable VSTi "freeze" function, but my understanding is the v3 has a much more streamlined process that can also work well for heavily processed tracks. Still, you should check out the freeze function and see if it gives you that intermediate step between virtual tracks and flat audio files that you're debating. I just got Nuendo 3 and am still feeling it out.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

  5. #5

    Re: "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here" - TV news show cue

    Houston, Thank you for your answers. Very helpful.

  6. #6

    Re: "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here" - TV news show cue

    Nicely done! I really enjoyed the percussion.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •