• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tidy or Untidy ?

Share/Bookmark

Tidy or Untidy ?

I saw this COOL ad on the wall at uni that said with big letters " Creative minds are rarely tidy" and....i ripped it off and it's on my wall now

What type are you ? Cloths , ashes and coffee stains everywhere or everything in Perfect Order ( synth has 1.7 cm distance from each side of the wall etc )

I'm Tidy Type A . -> Very Un-tidy
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Re: Tidy or Untidy ?

Absolute disaster. My studio is currently so full of unused (but potentially useful) junk, workspace crammed with multiple project bits and pieces, it's insane. Cables, DVDs, papers, partial scores, boxes of sample libs, video camera connectors and power supplies...

I can't find a place to lay a single sheet of paper to write notes on!!! I have to slide half of it under the console, lor let it dangle off the end of the desk...

Somehow, the music gets made.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    Somehow, the music gets made.

That's the point i guess ! Everything tends towards chaos anyway . Why clean up and go against the laws of nature
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I am by nature as untidy as they come.

However, I have integrated the practice of Feng Shui into my home and studio, and I am a total convert.

It's really not about tidy and untidy, ultimately. It's about clutter...about being timely in letting go of things which have no significance and keeping them out of your work space.

My productivity has easily tripled since I have banned clutter. I notice that people feel at ease in my space. When I walk in, it's like a blank slate, just ready to be filled.

Not to say that I don't create some collossal messes while working. But they're always strictly the mess of immediate creation, not clutter which has lost meaning. And the mess of immediate creation is easily cleaned up when the space has no other clutter in it.

I recommend it heartily. It has totally worked for me.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    *laughs* It's unfortunately too true. I really try to be tidy. I mean everything else in my place I keep clean. My desk? Papers and sheet music everywhere, coffee mugs, mints, pens/pencils... there is a candle and inscense burner in there somewhere I'm sure!

Once it gets too messy that I can't stand it anymore I always straighten it up better than someone with OCD could!

I find having a clean desk clears my mind as well. I should probably clean it more often. *chuckles*
    neo, where are you in Dallas? Perhaps the time for a DANS is near!!!!

A complete pig. Every month I look at my disgusting mess of an office, start cleaning it up, realize it's hopeless and just say the heck with it.

I rarely ever meet "creative" people who are tidy. Left brain/right brain and all that.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Definately on the piggy side. Luckily my studio is located in the apartment where I live with my girlfriend so I every now and then I get what I deserve.

I always start a job with a clean uncluttered work area. It usually stays pretty clean until the last few weeks. Once I am finished I usually take a few days off and come back and clean my area for the next time around. We seem to acumulate a lot of dust around our studio. Once a week I hit my work with a swifter cloth to keep my gear (midi controler, mixing board, monitors, etc...) un-dusty.

-T

Talking Re: Tidy or Untidy ?

I'm convinced that there is an inverse direct link between "housekeeping" tidiness and creativity (or so I've convinced myself, at least -- perhaps being a rationalization for why I am such a complete slob in my "working desk").

In the past, I have been most happy when I have a general "assistant" who can work within general parameters of "logical organization" (for instance, "you can collect papers from my desk, but if they don't have a 'flag' as to topic in the upper right-hand corner they must go into the 'to be flagged' pile, otherwise they can be filed"), Of course, he/she may only approach the working area when I am not there and otherwise needs to be not seen and definitely not heard!

I've found this approach to be workable in reducing the general fire hazard that would otherwise be my working area!

my $0.02 ... KevinKauai

(P.S. Please don't reply with "where do I find one?" -- you're on your own here!)

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor

That's the point i guess ! Everything tends towards chaos anyway . Why clean up and go against the laws of nature
    Because the laws of nature only lead to one thing. Death.

Smash a car against a tree. Chaos. Fall off a 20 story building. Chaos. Iraq....chaos. Chaos=death. The only reason we're alive at all is because we use the laws of nature against itself,i.e, car, controlled explosions. Food, controlled breaking down of matter,ect.

For as long as I'm alive I'll keep trying to put order into the chaos. Until that final toll when I can no longer put an end to the choas.

Remeber music is organized sound. Organized being the key. Organizing your space helps.

Now if I can just afford a maid to help me out a couple of times a week. Maybe I won't feel so dead when I'm trying to organize sound in my chaotic work space.

Jose

Go Back to forum