• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO COMPETITION WORKS POSTED! CONCERT & BROADCAST THURS.MARCH 31

Share/Bookmark

GPO COMPETITION WORKS POSTED! CONCERT & BROADCAST THURS.MARCH 31

The winning works for the GPO Orchestration Competition are now posted!

The Winners of the Garritan Personal Orchestra Competition will have their work performed live by the Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra and broadcast live worldwide on the internet The GPO Competition Performance & Broadcast will take place on March 31st, 2005 at 6PM GMT (12 noon EST, 9am PST) You will be able to view an active media streaming link on the day of the concert.

You can listen to the winning submissions on the Composer Channel.

You can also listen on Joseph Burrell's excellent GPO Competition Player (Choose Garritan Personal Orchestra and select Top "40" in the Genre category). The winning works are also posted at our GPO Competition page on our web site

Here is the link to the Live Broadcast on March 31st, 2005 at 6PM GMT (1PM EST, 10am PST).

The page is in the Czech language and press the green "play" button. From what I understand Windows Media 9 codec is required. There will also be a broadcast link on The Composer Channel.

A virtual round of applause to the winners and please join me in recognizing their outstanding work.

Gary Garritan

[edit: Daylight saving went into effect a week earlier in the Czech Republic than in the USA - so please see the revised times above.

]

Re: GPO COMPETITION WORKS POSTED! CONCERT & BROADCAST THURS.MARCH 31

Now I can finally see (or hear) why it was so hard for the judges to choose I winner, I know I would not have been able to do it! It is truly fantastic. Congratulations to all the winners, and to everyone who entered, for that matter! It's very inspiring to be among such geniuses, I don't know what say. Truly incredible. Wow. I look forward to the live orchestral versions.

By the way, I hope the broadcast will be recorded . . . I am in the unfortunate state of being in classes at the time of the live broadcast.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Talking Re: GPO COMPETITION WORKS POSTED! CONCERT & BROADCAST THURS.MARCH 31

Three cheers for all the stunning works !! There truly is some outstanding work, Never have I been so amazed and depressed(I'm jealous your all so good !) at the same. Can't wait to hear the broadcast !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    By the way, I hope the broadcast will be recorded . . . I am in the unfortunate state of being in classes at the time of the live broadcast.
    I won't know for certain until after the concert, but Gary and I have been talking about the possibility, and if we can make it happen, I'll put it in regular rotation on the Composer Channel so that it shows up on different days at different times.

I've also made a recent post announcing that the GPO Contest Top 40 Show debuts on the station tonight at midnight. 5 hours of great GPO music!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Gary,

Hope you all have a safe, fun and rewarding trip. Looking forward to hearing the program.

Karl

Re: Paradox?

I've had fun listening. I haven't made through all 40, but hope to soon.

I hope the top winners all have a great time in the Czech Republic hearing their pieces performed. And congratulations to all of the winners.
    Trent P. McDonald

I must say that when I heard the winning work I was absolutely floored. Irregardless of what genre the music belongs in and whether or not you like it (the genre), I think it must be admitted that Richard has a commanding handle on composition and his ability to use Garritan Personal Orchestra to its fullest is unmatched. This piece is grand, epic in scale, sweeping, full, and just beautiful. I was geniunely moved by the performance. Just as I would be from any great work.

I was also very impressed with the other entries on hand. Ken-P's especially was a favorite of mine as it seems like it would fit nicely in a Final Fantasy game. His skill at using GPO was also very impressive indeed. I should like Ken-P to take me under his wing and give me some lessons on just how to achieve such masterful midi orchestration. The expression in this piece is to die for.

My congratulations to the winner, the runner ups, and everyone that entered this contest. I can only imagine how grueling the judging must have been.

I just wish I was going to be home when the concert will be shown. Oh what a sad day to be trapped at work.

WOW! I just had a listen to the top 4 pieces. WOW! They are amazing. Looking forward to hearing the live performance. Since I'll be in class at the time though (I feel your pain Sean) hopefully there will be a repeat playing of them sometime in the evening, or (even better) be available for download someplace. But again I just wanted to say great work to all the composers and congrats.
    Tim

Will it stream at 128kbps ? Just a rethorical question

I imagine a high quality recording will be taken. Will it be available at a later date for us to download and listen to?
    Brain Edwards

Go Back to forum