• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gabriel Yared interview on Stage and Screen

Share/Bookmark

Gabriel Yared interview on Stage and Screen

Very interesting; http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo...stageandscreen#

Here's a direct link to open the interview in the stand-alone Real Player;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/shows/rpms/radio3/stageandscreen.rpm

This way, you can move slider down to the second rather than every 5 minutes if need be.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Re: Gabriel Yared interview on Stage and Screen

Ah ~~~~.. only available for realplayer? :-/

Yeah, its the only reason I even have it installed.

Yared talks about what happened with Troy at aruond the 45min mark. Its fairly brief though.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Thanks Scott!

very good accent for a french ! ( and it's a french that says that)

Yared is one of the most talented composers of his time. And I'm still frustrated that his TROY score was rejected as his music was some of the best I've heard written for a score in the past 30 years.

I interviewed him at length last summer as part of an analysis of his Troy score for Film Score Monthly and let me say that he was a pure delight to speak with. His passion for music is infinite. This is a guy who only wants to compose the best music he can, rather than play the political Hollywood games. A pure artist. And very approachable. When he heard I was a composer, he asked me for some of my music. What other major film composer would offer his time like this? I don't know of many (although Michael Kamen, God rest his soul, also had a huge heart and was very interactive with his fan base too).

Yared is pure class. I hope he gets some more assignments such as Troy since music lovers all over should be able to enjoy the full range of his talents.

Suggested listening:

Camille Claudel
    The Talented Mr. Ripley
    Cold Mountain
    City of Angels
    Troy (if you can find it on eBay or somewhere)
    Possession
    The English Patient

He certainly stands outs out among the rest, especially in the candy-floss ridden-everyone wants to be William's lapboy, world --

Talented Mr. Ripley score is fabulous!!!!

I like how one can listen to Yared's scores and derive as much enjoyment out of it as any classical piece. There's melody, harmony, rhythm, coloristic orchestration, all of the fundaments of music are omnipresent. Most Hollywood films scores these days demand that one sees the film to have some clue as to what the music is doind- lots of textures, rhythms but no really strong themes. Obviously, there are exceptions- James Newton Howard's THE VILLAGE is gorgeous, Williams' music, etc. But Yared's style is much more classically driven, and it's refreshing!

The music he wrote for Troy is quite stylish and classy. I beginning to understand why the two (score and film) had to be separated.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dcoscina
    I like how one can listen to Yared's scores and derive as much enjoyment out of it as any classical piece. There's melody, harmony, rhythm, coloristic orchestration, all of the fundaments of music are omnipresent. Most Hollywood films scores these days demand that one sees the film to have some clue as to what the music is doind- lots of textures, rhythms but no really strong themes. Obviously, there are exceptions- James Newton Howard's THE VILLAGE is gorgeous, Williams' music, etc. But Yared's style is much more classically driven, and it's refreshing!
    Not as a slight to Mr. Yared at all, but the other side of that coin is that sometimes fully-realized music is exactly the wrong choice for a film. Sometimes you want the picture to be the melody, or the dialog or sound design to be the role of melody, or ostinato, or rhythm.

Sometimes a fully realized musical idea is too much...actually reducing the impact of the music in its primary role as a function of an overall mixed media piece.

No disrespect to Mr. Yared, or anyone. But music which can stand alone does not necessarily equal superior film music over that which needs the full context to be appreciated.

Go Back to forum