• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: I don't like modern music

Share/Bookmark

I don't like modern music

I know this may make me seem like an ignorant little dork, but it's the truth, and I'm going to say it: I don't like modern music.

Of course there are a bunch of exceptions, but for the most part, give me those cinematic unoriginal diatonic melodies any old day of the week.

Is this bad? Does it make me sound like an uncultured idiot? Then again, can I change what is beautiful to me?

Quote Originally Posted by lgrohn
    After listening the 4+16 Winners, each great per se in their own genre(s),
    I wonder their missing creativity/originality. Most pieces reminded me
    about the film music of the 80's. And if we look at the
    innovativeness or modernity, not a single one has that.

There seems to be a paradox on this. GPO and the others would allow
    for the first time in the human history greatly personal music acceptable
    only for small audiences, but what we hear is music for masses.
    This statement really bothers me. Of course in any competition the winners will be subjective, subject to the style likings of the judges. Yes, you could add categories, but there could always be somebody to blame their loss on their unique style. There are other competitions in which cinematic style music doesn't stand much of a chance.

I don't want to insult anybody, as I know we have some talented composers of more modern music here on the forum. I'd really hate to see the composers of different styles compete with each other and be bitter because one style is more . . . uh . . . liked/accepted by the general public. However, nobody can force me to like their music, and I really don't like to hear them whine about it (the common argument being "you don't understand!" ).

There, I said it! Please don't hate me (or think less of me) . . . I had to get it out.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: I don't like modern music

and here's post 56,000 It's been hovering at 55,999 for ages! Where is everybody on Easter Sunday?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Right. Just wanted to remind you about what I said:
    "After listening the 4+16 Winners, each great per se in their own genre(s),"

But actually I just became interested in your tittle "I don't like modern music".
    Could you give some examples of modern music that you don't like.

LG
    ww.synestesia.com

What do you like? I really want to talk about other people's tastes. I have recently really started to get into orchestral music. I won't say 'classical" because it's too varied.

There are some very good 'modern' bits and bobs around.

I think it just depends what your definition of modern is.

GOOD GRIEF, GIVE US A CLUE MAN!!!

Chiseen

It's okay, everyone has their own personal tastes. I don't like modern music either, unless it's a modern work done Classically, so your not alone.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chiseen
    think it just depends what your definition of modern is.
    By definition you can't define modern music.
    But have you never heard about festivals of modern music. Here in Europe
    I have many times participated e.g. these three:

Ars Musica in Brussels, Belgium:
    http://www.arsmusica.be/en/festival.asp

Musica Nova in Helsinki, Finland:
    http://www.musicanova.fi/english/index.html

Time of Music in Viitasaari, Finland:
    http://www.timeofmusic.org/index2.ph...elma.php&nav=1

LG
    www.synestesia.com

You're right . . . "modern" music is probably as broad as "classical" music!

But I guess some examples could be the music of George Crumb . . . of course, he's pretty extreme! I'm not too fond of Philip Glass. I guess what I mean is atonal music, structureless, themeless music, atmospheric music . . . I really have to listen to it before I can judge it, and even then my opinion can change after multiple listens.

I know it's all subjective, my point is simply that I don't want there to be genre wars based on the winners of the competition. Some people have really innovative compositions and styles that just don't sound that good to me, and I simply can't pretend to like them simply because they are unique. They have to sound to good me for me to like it. No "appreciating."

Everyone has their tastes, but I don't think we all have to hold hands and pretend we like everything we hear . . . does that make any sense? I must go off and gather my thoughts . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Smile Re: I don't like modern music

>>I'm going to say it: I don't like modern music. Is this bad? Does it make me sound like an uncultured idiot? Then again, can I change what is beautiful to me?

.....It is healthy to have something you don't like, but the generalization of it is unhealthy. I always say; I don't like ----. It does not mean that music is bad or anything. It just means "I" don't like it.

>>I wonder their missing creativity/originality. Most pieces reminded me
    about the film music of the 80's.

Some people measure music based on thier scale of creativity and originality, which is no universal scale. Some judge music based on their personal likings of melody or other things, which again is no universal scale. Either way what they are doing is same thing. I don't care those much. I judge music based on my likings, and it should not matter to you.

>There seems to be a paradox on this. GPO and the others would allow
    for the first time in the human history greatly personal music acceptable
    only for small audiences

I disagree on this one. I think GPO and the others would help the creation of the personal music, but not acceptance. People do not accept things just because of they are available.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

There's a common parallel to this subject in painting: I don't like modern art. (O.K., most of it.) There's some true originality and innovation in contemporary art (and music) -- but it doesn't move the soul: instead you must put your grey matter at its disposal. I'm not sure this is a corollary to modern music, but when I find I'm spending more time trying to comprehend the art form rather than enjoying it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-P
    .....It is healthy to have something you don't like, but the generalization of it is unhealthy. I always say; I don't like ----. It does not mean that music is bad or anything. It just means "I" don't like it.
    Certainly, I definitely don't mean to generalize.

I think what I'm trying to say is there sometimes seems to be this notion that one should be accepting of all forms of art and music. I simply can't agree with this.

Thank you all for your posts, I do enjoy discussions like this, I learn a lot.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum