• Register
  • Help

Topic: Your Favourite Overture

Your Favourite Overture

Dear Garritanites,

Well, for me, it's Shakespeare time again. I have to write the music for 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' ('Shakespeare -4- all' Hong Kong Kids production).

I did Macbeth last year, which was easy because it was very action-packed and I was working with Chinese opera (leading to strong direction). This year I have to think of something a bit more mellow.

My director has asked me to write the overture first!!! She has given me a load of direction about the themes required.......
    Background over!

What is your favourite overture? as I need to find a way of "glueing" my themes together into a decent sounding overture, therefore I want to do some listening.

I realize that this is an extremely subjective topic but I would like to hear from you all the same.

Chiseen (Gratuitous user of commas and Tchaikovsky stuff.)

Why are they called swallows? They make their houses out of spit!

Re: Your Favourite Overture

Overture first? That's a bit odd, I think, but I guess if you know the themes, it can be done.

Favorite overture? Now that's a tough question! I do enjoy many opera overtures, but their style usually has to do with the atmosphere of the opera.

You could check out some modern broadway overtures, such as Phantom of the Opera, or even The Sound of Music or Fiddler on the Roof. I think those all combined the themes used throughout the story very nicely.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

An overture to go with "A Midsummer Night's Dream?" Well there's always Mendelssohn's "Overture to A Midsummer Night's Dream," of course.

You might also be interested in:

Overture to "Beatrice and Benedict" (Berlioz)
    Overture to "Susanna's Secret" (Nicolai)
    Overture to "Maskerade" (Carl Nielsen)

They're kind of similar in style. I'm sure I'll think of some others later.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

tbh, if your audience are children and their families, then i wouldn't recommend anything too strenous on the ol' attention span.

Andrew Llyod Webber tbh, even if he does nick all his themes.
    ""A woman should dress to attract attention. To attract the most attention, a woman should be either nude, or wearing something as expensive as getting her nude is going to be." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Thank you, good suggestions. I'll be sure to listen to them.

BTW, I don't want to start another thread.... but, has anyone listened to David Axelrod? He's ace! Orchestral arrangements with 60's beats?

I love it. Anyway, I hope to do something like that soon. My only problem is getting the money together to rent a studio to record the drums. I have to play them live to capture that sort of groove.

Have listen to 'Songs of Innocence' and tell me what you think.

Go Back to forum