• Register
  • Help

Topic: RMX on Logic PC 5.5?

Share/Bookmark

RMX on Logic PC 5.5?

Will -does RMX work on Logic PC 5.5.?

Also Im thinking of switching "back" to Mac-would I
    need to buy the Mac version of RMX-cross/grade or trade in the PC ver.?

Thanks.

JF.

Re: RMX on Logic PC 5.5?

I'm using RMX on Logic PC 5.5 myself and it works just fine. The only caveat is that is has the "hung note" bug that all newer VSTs seem to have these days. It doesn't create a huge problem for me in Logic 5.5 because once I find the loops I want, I'm working from the midi file rather than an long audio loop. So if you restart a song and have a track selected other than the RMX track, you'll hear whatever audio was last playing. But since it's just a snippet of sound, it's not too annoying.

RMX is simply amazing.

JF & LH

Yeah, It works. And I agree that the RMX is amazing (although one find
    always things to improve, that's human nature).

As as PC/Logic 5.5.1 user there's just one main restriction: namely such a
    massive instrument as RMX eats much RAM and unfortunately Logic 5.5.1 PC
    can't utilize more that 1 GB memory. Freezing the created track/plugin
    is an option to considered, if you have problem in this.

I'd like to hear your experience of this.

Regards

Harry

P.s. Spectrasonic, for some reason, wash their hands reagarding RMX
    Logic PC -users. Because of the Apple Emagic buyout, it seems that
    we PC users have bacome some kind of outlaws, unfortunately also in the eyes of the plugin manufactures. Think thats not a wise policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_O
    P.s. Spectrasonics, for some reason, wash their hands reagarding RMX
    Logic PC -users. Because of the Apple Emagic buyout, it seems that
    we PC users have bacome some kind of outlaws, unfortunately also in the eyes of the plugin manufactures. Think thats not a wise policy.
    Please understand that this has nothing to do with thinking that Logic PC users are outlaws! :-)

The reason we don't officially support Logic 5 is because Apple/Emagic does not officially support it. RMX was created well after Logic 5.5 and we rely on certain features that only exist from Logic 6 onward, so we can't guarantee how well it will work or if it will continue to work.

RMX and the SAGE technology relies heavily on modern operating systems and current software technology. We work really closely with all the developers of the host applications to ensure that our plugs work correctly. If a host developer stops supporting a version of their product, plug-in developers are likely to stop supporting it too, simply because it becomes very difficult for us to get fixes for certain issues that arise. Many times, to address an issue, it requires work from both sides...plug-in and host.

This is also the main reason why we do not support Mac OS9 on new instruments like RMX....so it's not a platform bias thing.

I'm glad that it actually does work to some degree on Logic 5.5....that's quite amazing actually!

In regards to the crossgrade to the Mac OSX side...no worries. All our instruments come with every platform and OS...no extra charge, so you can use our instruments on any host that you want.

spectrum

Thanks for the above replies.I will probably l cross-grade to Mac soon-
    for Logic-& Ill start paying attention to the Mac users posts here regarding RMX.

JF

Just adding my 2 cents for those Logic 5.5 users thinking of purchasing RMX.

I'm afraid I foolishly upgraded Stylus to Stylus RMX without even looking at the specs, assuming that since Stylus was tested on Logic 5.5 PC then RMX would have been also. After that horrible sinking feeling (I had bought the upgrade and 2 expansion libraries at the same time), everything has worked out fine. The last RMX upgrade has ironed out most of the remaining bug issues for me and as such, Stylus RMX is now functional on Logic 5.5 PC.

It is truly a wonderful piece of software. One of the only hiccups I can see on 5.5 is the preset automated parameters are not available, but midi learn works thereby getting around this. Multiple outs works fine now too. RMX does seem rather hungry for RAM (first instance consuming 17% of my available 1gig of RAM) but I have no way of knowing if this is a logic 5.5 issue or is common to other versions/platforms.

All in all, I would happily recommend to any poor soul stranded on Logic 5.5 PC to take the plunge and purchase RMX - It's great value and there seems to be only a few bugs, at least on my DAW, and these haven't slowed down my workflow anyway.

Cheers

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brettman
    RMX does seem rather hungry for RAM (first instance consuming 17% of my available 1gig of RAM) but I have no way of knowing if this is a logic 5.5 issue or is common to other versions/platforms.
    Brett

Brett, Nice to know of other PC-users experience. After the Apple Emagic buyout, we Logic users have been forced either to change the platform/the host or remain some sort of homeless outlaws with the Logic-PC.

The memory restriction I mentioned is connected to the PC Logic 5.5.; it means that althoug you had more than 1024 MB RAM, the program can't utilize
    more than 1 GB at a time. Apple versions from 6-> don't have this limitation.
    Of course the performance is depending also on the other parameters such as
    CPU.

I'd like to hear your opinion of the RMX expansion libraries. Many of the
    Stylus factory groovies are too "industrial/artificial" to my taste. I prefer
    "classical" acoustic sounds as the basic tone which then can be colored with
    "tech-tones".

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_O
    I'd like to hear your opinion of the RMX expansion libraries. Many of the
    Stylus factory groovies are too "industrial/artificial" to my taste. I prefer
    "classical" acoustic sounds as the basic tone which then can be colored with
    "tech-tones".

Harry
    Be sure to explore the Groove Elements sound directory...that's where all the Acoustic Percussion grooves are in the Core Library.

I think Backbeat and Liquid Grooves would be Xpanders you would really like then....check out the demos:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/xpanders/

Burning Grooves also has a special selection of "Acoustic Groove Elements" that's really cool, very natural and probably just what you are looking for. It'll be in stores in about two weeks.

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    I think Backbeat and Liquid Grooves would be Xpanders you would really like then....check out the demos:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/xpanders/

Burning Grooves also has a special selection of "Acoustic Groove Elements" that's really cool, very natural and probably just what you are looking for. It'll be in stores in about two weeks.
    spectrum

Yeah, Eric, thanks for the info, I think I start by ordering the Backbeat and some another one. H.

Go Back to forum