• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt 1.54x-horrific polyphony

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt 1.54x-horrific polyphony

Hi there,

I use giga for my of my piano compositions, but the other day I had my Daw on and needed to lay something quick (that PC has Kontakt 1.54) and on 'glisses' or large block chords quickly ran out of polyphony. Can't I change this setting in Kontakt to allow my polyphone (>100). Just so use to incredible polyphony in GS 3.0. Many thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: Kontakt 1.54x-horrific polyphony

Sure you can.

Most instruments are set by default at 32 voices. To increase that just click, hold the mouse button down, and drag up to increase polyphony, down to decrease.

Not sure how high it goes, but I think one instance of Kontakt is limited to 256 voices.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your quick response. I should have said that was the first thing I tried and it didn't help at all???? I am running a fairly speedy puter - 3.0 P4 2 gig ram, etc.

Any ideas?

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

So you increased the polyphony but are getting what? Dropouts? Are you in the red on the CPU?

I'm just not understanding I guess what the exact issue is here. You increased the polyphony of the piano, but that's not the issue here?

Yes, once I get a certain amount of notes played (I think it shows something around 64 or so I get no piano sound at all until the pedal is release or I play less. Hope I am explaining this properly to you. Think a pedal down gliss and 75% of the way through the gliss the piano sound just cuts off.

Same things happens if I play some fairly god sized block chords.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Hmmm... Let me look into it when I get home. Hopefully someone else could chime in here with some more experience in these issues.

Rob,

two things to check...

1. Are you using the DFD extension (you will see this when you click on the Kontakt logo in the top left corner - it will give you the Kontakt version and the DFD Extension version).

2. IF you are using DFD - make sure its voicing is not limited - you can do this in the OPTIONS menu - then select DFD and make sure their is the proper RESERVED VOICES (it maxes at 256 I think?)

Check both of those and let me know (feel free to call if you ever need any help - I love Kontakt.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Yep, I completely forgot about the DFD options. Good find Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Rob,

two things to check...

1. Are you using the DFD extension (you will see this when you click on the Kontakt logo in the top left corner - it will give you the Kontakt version and the DFD Extension version).

2. IF you are using DFD - make sure its voicing is not limited - you can do this in the OPTIONS menu - then select DFD and make sure their is the proper RESERVED VOICES (it maxes at 256 I think?)

Check both of those and let me know (feel free to call if you ever need any help - I love Kontakt.

Hi Alan,

Yes I have DFD 1.2.9. Did as you say and I think that is it!!! Many thanks Alan and Joseph. I will probably update to 2.0, just didn't have the engine set up properly (mostly use GS3.0).

Alan, what else would you do in 'set-up' for optimal performance? I noticed a CC#7/11 option I DID not have selected (come to think of it the little I used Kontact I haven't been able to model vol/expression. Is this it? Anything else I should set correctly. Many thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Rob,

Cool - sounds like that worked for ya...

As far as the CC7/11 option - I have mine off - but - if you turn it on - then yes the normal midi 'volume' and 'pan' settings will work in your sequencer. I typically prefer to handle this myself on Kontakt insterface - so mine is left off.

Other optimal settings? - well - on the same box as your cc7/11 option - you will also notice the SUSTAIN PEDAL MODE - that will be important when working with libraries that address the sustain pedal for different operations (such as GPO).

All other options change based on the library I'm currently dug into. Play around a little with the DFD settings - this can really free up alot of performance when dialed in correctly.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum