• Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: The Genre of the GPO Competition Winners

Share/Bookmark

Paradox?

After listening the 4+16 Winners, each great per se in their own genre(s),
    I wonder their missing creativity/originality. Most pieces reminded me
    about the film music. And if we look at the
    innovativeness or modernity, not a single one has that.

There seems to be a paradox on this. GPO and the others would allow
    for the first time in the human history greatly personal music acceptable
    only for small audiences, but what we hear is music for masses.

Could it be possible for the next time to have two classes in this competition:
    standard class & innovative class? The latter could shows the real
    potentials of GPO and the others !

Lauri Gröhn
    metacomposer
    www.synestesia.com

Re: GPO COMPETITION WORKS POSTED! CONCERT & BROADCAST THURS.MARCH 31

lgrohn,

Because the winning work is in a film genre does not diminish the accomplishment. Film music is the popular genre of orchestral music today and entire symphonic concerts are being performed with film music exclusively. You are correct in saying it has mass appeal. Of the 200 entries submitted the vast majority were cinematic in nature.

There were entries that displayed modernity (e.g. Iwan Roth's work). There is no reason we cannot provide different genre categories for future competitions. There is a Modern/Experimental/Avant Garde section in the GPO Demo site which shows what GPO can do in this genre. http://garritan.com/GPO-mp3-Modern.html Perhaps you can enter your own modern work for next year's competition.

Gary Garritan.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Because the winning work is in a film genre does not diminish the accomplishment....
    Gary Garritan.
    Excellently put Gary. I could only dream of achieving something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    There is no reason we cannot provide different genre categories for future competitions. Perhaps you can enter your own modern/experimental/avant garde work for next year's competition.
    Please don't understan me wrong.
    Actually the matter is more deep. One reason that mostly horrible
    artificial/electronic sounds were developed was that PC samples
    couldn't scope with real instrument samples (solo violin e.g.).
    On the other hand composers have forever used piano for
    sounding harmonies but piano's overtone set doesn't match the set for
    strings winds etc. and the harmonies selected were not always proper.

Now everything has changed with GPO, EWQLSO, VSL etc.
    Why using these great tools just for "slave music" (=film music)
    when really knew music could be composed.

Lauri Gröhn
    metacomposer
    www.synestesia.com

Re: The Genre of the GPO Competition Winners

But they are not used solely for that purpose. There are many demos out there that are fit into many genres of music. I experiment a lot myself with all different types of things. I try not to fit into one genre or other or even into what could broadly be called musical or natural. The liberating thing about samples is that you aren't bound to the abilities of a human being so why let your creativity be a slave to it. So what that my Concerto for Distorted Harp requires 5 harpist and 11 timpanist. Who cares? BUT, music to me is a private thing for my enjoyment only, and I do not wish for acceptance by the majority.

However, I am very accepting of the fact that there are many genre's of music that are not broadly appealing. I am also accepting to the fact that Richard's or Ken-P's or Francesco's pieces fit into the more modern mindset of what orchestra music is 'supposed' to sound like. But again that in no way distracts from the mastery shown in these pieces. I'm sure Richard could make whatever kind of music he wishes. And his piece is a FINE example of film music.

Anyway, as an European person I have difficulties to understand
    the sensibility of composing film music without existing film
    or listenining that kind of music. It's like making love without
    a partner... perhaps. On the other hand quite often music
    is the soul maker of a movie. LG

I don't disagree and I mostly have a hard time appreciating film music without the actual film. But, I don't think that I would necessarily put any of the demo's in that genre per se. I think maybe they have that tone or character to them, but they aren't as, uhm, 'boring.' Most film music I've heard is 30 seconds of excitement followed by minutes of anticipation. Not so with the competition entries that started this conversation. However, feel free to disagree. I enjoy a good solid arguement as much as the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by lgrohn
    Anyway, as an European person I have difficulties to understand
    the sensibility of composing film music without existing film
    or listenining that kind of music. It's like making love without
    a partner... perhaps. On the other hand quite often music
    is the soul maker of a movie. LG
    It seems just to be a matter of taste, and is, like all music, subjective. If so many people like to listen to and compose thematic/cinematic music, is there anything wrong with that?

As I've said before, different people listen to and write music for different reasons, and I don't think it is right to say some reasons are wrong, while others are right.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Did you listen to mine?

It's got some pretty interesting stuff in there, especially in the development. Out of the whole symphony (which that work is a part of), that one IS the most consonant and easy to listen to. But not all of my entry are pretty and consonant harmonies that you here everyday. You might want to listen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Reeves
    Did you listen to mine?

It's got some pretty interesting stuff in there, especially in the development. Out of the whole symphony (which that work is a part of), that one IS the most consonant and easy to listen to. But not all of my entry are pretty and consonant harmonies that you here everyday. You might want to listen again.
    Craig,

I agree, your entry and William Pearson's didn't sound like film music to me. Each was unique in its own way, I enjoyed both pieces. Is your background in writing concert music? What are some of your musical influences?

I'm really looking forward to the broadcast of all these pieces.

Brian

Go Back to forum