• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How well does rewire work?

Share/Bookmark

Question How well does rewire work?

Hey, every1!
    What are your experiences with rewire?
    I'm wondering if I should buy Sonar or a GISF sound card. Which is more dependable? What I want to do is use GPO (VST), VSC (DXi), and Gigastudio 3 (rewire) all at once. When I make my final audio file, I want it to be easy. I would perfer just to one 'export audio', but if rewire is unstable, I would be willing to take the time to do an audio capture and mix it with the other plugins' outputs.

The reason I ask is 'cause I see a lot of problems with rewire lurking around this forum. Is it because the users aren't using it right or becasue rewire isn't the most stable of plugins?

What do y'all think I should do?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Chris

Re: How well does rewire work?

I've Rewired GS3 for a short time. My main program is ProTools. Stable, yes, I had no problems - maybe I'm just lucky. I built an old allenstein* machine that was specifically for ProTools. The only reason I took it out was juice. I know that for the projects I am going to work on, I need to put GS3 on a seperate computer. Just make sure you read the manual when setting GS3 in Rewire and everything should work fine. If not, drop a line and I'm sure one of the many GS3 users got the answer.

*Named after Allen Hallada, the most helpful and knowledgable person on the Digidesign user conference.

The version of Rewire that is supported only handles 16 voices. If you only need to work with 16 channels at a time, rewire is good. If you want many voices, the audio card is better.

If you want to render to many independent audio tracks, Rewire is preferred. If you do a single, final render from Giga, the audio card is fine.

I think Rewire is best for pop. You only need so many tracks, and you may want to do some wild processing on the audio. The audio card is better for orchestral. You can do many more tracks, and don't need to do any processing outside of Giga.

Keep in mind that you will probably only render so many times on each piece. But you will be working with the tracks for hours at a time.

Also, a better audio card may offer lower latency and audio quality.

Stay focused on the things that you will do over and over, and don't worry so much about the things that you will only do occasionally.

-JF

OK, I getcha!
    The audio card's cheaper, anyway!

Thanks for your help,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    OK, I getcha!
    The audio card's cheaper, anyway!

Thanks for your help,
    Chris
    Don't forget that you will need a computer for that "cheaper" card ....

BTW,
    Doesn't anyone do it the GS way, where you register your sequencer app in GS so it opens "inside" GS.
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    Don't forget that you will need a computer for that "cheaper" card ....

BTW,
    Doesn't anyone do it the GS way, where you register your sequencer app in GS so it opens "inside" GS.
    Yeah,
    A computer would be nice...........
    Still working on that one. (sigh)

I've never herd of opening the sequencer inside GS.
    How does that work?

Chris

It's easy. Configure Giga to know where your sequencer's exe file lives. Click the sequencer icon in Giga (top left). The sequencer opens, and the direct path from keyboard to Giga is shut off. The keyboard should then route to the sequencer and then to Giga - assuming that the sequencer is setup properly.

When you exit the sequencer, the direct path from keyboard to Giga is restored.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    It's easy. Configure Giga to know where your sequencer's exe file lives. Click the sequencer icon in Giga (top left). The sequencer opens, and the direct path from keyboard to Giga is shut off. The keyboard should then route to the sequencer and then to Giga - assuming that the sequencer is setup properly.

When you exit the sequencer, the direct path from keyboard to Giga is restored.

-JF
    So, from your experiences, Jon, are there any vioce/channel implications with that approach?
    Maybe that could be a viable alterntive for Chris.
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    So, from your experiences, Jon, are there any vioce/channel implications with that approach?
    Maybe that could be a viable alterntive for Chris.
    No problem. You can access all eight ports and 128 channels this way.

I use this method with Sonar, which is on my Giga machine. I have Sibelius on my laptop. When I use Sib, I use MIDIoverLAN+ to control Giga. I don't usually ReWire, but might in the future for some pop applications. Probably not though. I'm most likely to just stay with what I normally do.

-JF

I use Rewire with GS3, Cubase VST32 & Acid Pro5.
    Everything plays together nicely.

I start GS3, open Cubase from within, then start Acid. The reverse for shutting down.
    What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Go Back to forum