• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Project6: Name Change Forced By Cakewalk!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down Project6: Name Change!!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    We received a fax by Cakewalk/Twelve-Tone today stating that we must change the name of our sample guitar library {Project6:Lyrical Distortion} or they will seek legal action.

So FYI... Project6:Lyrical Distortion is now called LYRICAL DISTORTION!

Re: Project6: Name Change Forced By Cakewalk!

Due to my moderator status, I removed my post as to not get anyone else in trouble. The opinions I express are my own and do not necessarily reflect those …yadda…yadaa…

...A sad day

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

It would be confusing if Cakewalk has a Project 6 in the works though.

If they own the trademark to Project 5, there's not much Bela can do about it....all musical instruments and software are part of the same trademark class. (Class 9 if I remember correctly)

It's critical for all developers in this industry to get product names cleared by a trademark search before releasing them. It's part of the cost of doing business, and it will save you huge hassles later. When I saw the name of Project 6, the first thing I wondered was if Cakewalk would have a problem with it.

It's a drag to have to deal with this stuff though...I feel for you guys. Now you know what's involved for your future products. Doing a trademark search through a good trademark attorney saves you a lot of hassle in the future.

Good luck.

spectrum

I was actually a bit confused myself. When I first heard of the name "Project 6", the first thing that came to mind was "Project 5 must be getting an update".

How can you trade mark a name like project 5. It's like trademarking the name Mike or something. That's odd.

Well anyway Bela D. Just change it to Project VI: Lyrical Distortion. There's no way they can fight that one. Unless the copywrite laws are totally insane.

cheers,

Jose

Wow! Keep our versions, they will be collector items worth ...

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    Well anyway Bela D. Just change it to Project VI: Lyrical Distortion.
    Thats a great idea

Arrow Re: Project6: Name Change Forced By Cakewalk!

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    It would be confusing if Cakewalk has a Project 6 in the works though.
    spectrum
    Exactly what I thought when I read up on Project 6. At first, I too thought it was the next version of Project 5. I have just been sitting back waiting for the other shoe to drop. Looks like it has.
    Anyway, just a speedbump on the highway to success...
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

I was thinking about coming out with a library called Stylus RMX Version 3. Do you think anyone would have a problem with that?

It's an accordian plug-in, by the way.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast