• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Thoughts on Samplitude v8?

Share/Bookmark

Thoughts on Samplitude v8?

I have a chance to upgrade to Samplitude v8 Professional for a pretty low price. But I'm having a hard time finding any online reviews or anything like that.

Is anyone here using it? If so, what are your thoughts? Or does anyone know where I can find a couple online reviews, etc. from anyone other than the company selling the product (Magix)?
    Lincoln Flesch
    Diva, GPO, GOS, LastLibs Bass, Scarbee's SID, BFD, Post Emperor and the MAG.
    ---------------------------------------
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    --Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Re: Thoughts on Samplitude v8?

Ask around on KVR as well. There's quite a few Samp users there as well.

Ive been using it for a few months now. I just did a WW2 Doc. that was all midi orch. and although the midi side of it is still slowly perfecting itself, it was doable is sounds great I might add.. the audio object editing side of it is truly amazing. Ive never tried another sequencer that could touch it for that alone. I couldnt believe some of things you can do so easily.
    Why dont you try the 8.11 demo 1st before you buy..? Have fun with it, I found it a little difficult to work with at 1st, but now i`m finding it hard to go back to anything else..rich

How about stability Rich? Any issues there? I've noticed some posts that talk about crashes at other forums, but no indication of what version it is that is giving them trouble.

I'm really interested in the audio side of Samplitude moreso than the midi. The midi in version 6 makes me want to puke, it really needs work. However, the audio processing is top notch and I would really like to see what advancements have been made to the convolution processing in 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I'm really interested in the audio side of Samplitude moreso than the midi.
    I've been using v8.1. for the past few weeks and I would just like to say that it's been a breath of fresh air. I read a few comments on Samplitude before taking the plunge and I expected a long learning curve, but I've found it to be extremely intuitive. Also, the way object based editing works is a dream.

The built in effects are pretty nice, though I use the ones on my UAD card more. I've found the EQ is usable in moderation but doesn't like to be used liberally. I haven't used the Analogue Suite all that much (don't be confused by the word "suite" - it's only a couple of plug-ins). What I would say is that they aren't all that subtle - definitely adds its own character and, generally, in a pleasing way. Not really a fan of the transient modeller, but then I don;t like transient modellers in general.

As far as stability is concerned, I've had very few problems. There have been a few crashes here and there, but nothing tragic. Also - I've been using it pretty much all day every day since I got it doing some serious amounts of editing.

Works seamlessly with the UAD card. Got a couple of Voxengo plugs and they seem to be working perfectly too. Also - got a Lynx AES16 and not problems there.

I'm very happy with the program and, having used most of the competing sequencers, would recommend Samplitude as the best without a moments hesitation.

Of course, a lot depends on what your particular needs are.

Just ask if you have any more questions!

Douglas.
    douglas whates
    (naturalstudio creator and curator)
    http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk
    http://www.douglaswhates.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    How about stability Rich? Any issues there? I've noticed some posts that talk about crashes at other forums, but no indication of what version it is that is giving them trouble.

I'm really interested in the audio side of Samplitude moreso than the midi. The midi in version 6 makes me want to puke, it really needs work. However, the audio processing is top notch and I would really like to see what advancements have been made to the convolution processing in 8.
    Havent had any major problems joseph, a couple crashes when i tried to rush a couple of proccesses. But the .bak files (my autosaves set to 2 min.) are reliable and theres a crash dialog box that comes up and lets u backup everything..unlike SX (ive lost a couple almost finished projects by unintentionally messing up the .bak file in SX).
    Midi in 8.1 is usable but not totally up to speed with SX, Sonar or Logic etc..Sam`s midi is more on par with Protools. It was an afterthought that`s now getting attention. I can guarantee you that it will improve soon,they have a very good Midi developer now. Still, most basic things can be done with it.
    I`m using IR-1 and UAD-1 alot so i havent really dug into Sams convoution. I actually really like the anologue suite and the dynamic comps. are amazing.
    There Elastic Audio is really neat ,something like Melodyne. The Time streaching algorythms are amazing. Apparently, theres more plugs and surprises coming.. Rich

There is no other software based program that sounds as good as Samplitude, and it is fairly simple and very intuitive to learn.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Sure. But what would make a man upgrade from v7 to v8.

I've used it since v5, and found each upgrade giving diminishing returns (I don't use it for midi), so I 'm sticking at 7 for now

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers
    Sure. But what would make a man upgrade from v7 to v8.

I've used it since v5, and found each upgrade giving diminishing returns (I don't use it for midi), so I 'm sticking at 7 for now
    Elastic Audio, better video import and I believe there will be an improvement in the Track Manager soon...If that stuff is important to you..

Also DVD-A burning and analog suite plugins.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Go Back to forum