• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Competition Rehearsal - Day 1

Share/Bookmark

GPO Competition Rehearsal - Day 1

Greetings from Olomouc, Czech Republic.

Here's the first report on the concert events for the GPO Competition Performance.

We worked right down to the wire making sure all the scores were ready to go. It was quite a challenge getting all the scores from MIDI to live. To paraphrase one of our winning entries "I didn't know how much I didn't know." This has been a learning experience for everybody.

After 22 hours of travel for me (and 30 for Gary) we meet again. We had to forgo the party and mayhem and crash for the night.

This morning we attended the first rehearsal. Today's rehearsal was a run through of the scores. Needless to say, tensions were high as they often are before a first rehearsal. One can never really anticipate the success of a program until that first downbeat. I am happy to say that I am fully confident that we will have a wonderful concert.

We began our rehearsal with the winning entry "Knights & Magic". Within the first 16 bars, Richard has given us the Horns in the upper limit of their range. A word to the wise: make sure the Horn Player has ample coffee before asking him to play such notes so early in the morning (fear not Richard, a few passes through and he was fine). The orchestra will certainlyl do justice to this fantastic peice of music. Kentaro's music read down as I expected it would and went extremely well. Craig Reeve's piece required just a little work. Petr did a good job at getting the orchestra through the many time changes and syncopations. I really believe this piece will come together nicely for the next rehearsal. As I anticipated, Bill Pearson's piece provided some challenges and some rethinking and I believe we have come up with an approach that will work. For those of you who remember my Hungarian Overture, Gary has been kind enough to let me perform this piece with the orchestra. It never ceases to be an amazing experience hearing your compositions performed live.

I want to thank our conductor Petr Pololanik who put up with my fastidious scoring requirements. I am impressed - he is a very skilled conductor.

After rehearsal, Gary and I tooka walking tour of this pretty little city. Gary showed be some of his Jazz Big Band library. All I can say is its time to let my goatee grow, buy a baret and work really hard at being a lot hipper than I really am. I also heard some mp3s done by other members of the forum and, another word to the wise, keep away from my gigs! Great stuff!

Well that's it for today,

Andy Brick
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Re: GPO Competition Rehearsal - Day 1

WOW!!!!

Now i REALLYY cant wait. I have the butterflies reading that report. Sorry I pushed the horns a little bit. I gald he can do it though!!

Was there no problems with the timpani and harp?

Cant wait to see you guys and hear everyones music!!!!

Thanks for the progress report and sharing the EXCITEMENT.

Can't wait to hear 'em ...

Thanks for posting this Andy!

This is all so exciting! What a thrill – not only for the winners but for our entire little family! Can’t wait to hear the results!

P.S. I hope Gary found a Starbucks over there...otherwise he gets confused and falls down.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Great to hear some feedback from someone on the scene! I'm excited for the winners and runners up that will have their compositions performed.

Andy, I hope you snuck a recording deck and some mics in so those of us that have engagements during the performance will be able to hear it later on.

Thumbs up Re: GPO Competition Rehearsal - Day 1

What a truly exciting experience for the whole GPO community! I can't believe how happy and excited I feel for all the winners!
    Thank you so much for bringing us an update of events and the rehearsals. Very thrilling indeed!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Andy, I hope you snuck a recording deck and some mics in so those of us that have engagements during the performance will be able to hear it later on.
    I hope so too. Actually, recordings would make a very nice "GPO Orchestration Competition Winners" Album, Vol 1.

Thanks for the update, I'm very excited! And this will hopefully be just the first of many more . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Great report, Andy!

Great news about your Hungarian Overture being performed live. I hope that the experience inspires a Czechoslovakian Overture to come. ("Hungarian" is easier to spell though...)

All the best with the success of the project.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I hope so too. Actually, recordings would make a very nice "GPO Orchestration Competition Winners" Album, Vol 1.
    I agree...and hopefully the sound would be better than with my cheap little speakers here at work.

This is SO COOL! Congrats to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Great to hear some feedback from someone on the scene! I'm excited for the winners and runners up that will have their compositions performed.

Yeah, what he said!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum