• Register
  • Help

Topic: Running Deep: Unwelcome Delivery

Share/Bookmark

Running Deep: Unwelcome Delivery

I thought I'd begin to share some of the cues I wrote for the independent film Running Deep. I posted an earlier version of this some time ago, but this is the final mix of this cue, and is one of the more sweet and sentimental pieces I've composed. It also really shows off the expressiveness of the GPO Guarneri.

Unwelcome Delivery - 1.22 MB

Instrumentation:
    Solo violin; string section pizz; piano with and without delay; dampened vibraphone

Scene:
    Matt Barnes is delivered the divorce papers he was already expecting. He looks at them briefly, and keeps their existence hidden from his father. His father leaves, and he sits down to read...
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Running Deep: Unwelcome Delivery

/shamelessly bumping...
    - Jamie Kowalski

Bearing in mind the scene, this sounds excellent.. Well done Jamie! I think the delayed piano works very well.

I'm not crazy about the solo string GPO instruments which I've heard.....but you did a good job.

Frank

Thanks! Yes, the solo samples were being kind to me in this piece! Somehow, the style and register fit just right, and this one comes out sounding very realistic.

I can't wait for the new Garritan violin, though. I haven't been nearly as lucky in a few of my other tracks.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Very nice, violin sounds great, reverb excellent (what did you use?), piano w/delay added something special (increased helplessness), pizz. strings increase the solace effect.

Without having seen the film, overall the piece seems a little too intimate, is the father just part of the background in this scene and what is important is getting the divorce papers?, if yes, then the music fits well.

Jamie - I am glad you bumped this - I didn't catch this at first.

Really nice - I really love the piano and pizz parts. simple, understated - yet extremely effective. I like your writing a lot!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Kinda wierd to listen to music from a cue without the video footage, so I can't see how it goes with the scene, but I'm trying to imagine it in my head, and the music seems to blend very well. To be honest, I'd rather hear the Strad violin besides the Guarneri, but that's just me. Nice work, good luck on the project!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Very nice. I listen to the earlier version from last September. Big difference seems to be the reverb and that this just seems over all more "complete" - must the the mixing.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    Very nice, violin sounds great, reverb excellent (what did you use?)
    The reverb is is a Sonar-included plug-in called StudioVerb. I love the sound of it... very clean and rich. It's not usually my choice for realistic spaces for acoustic instruments, but here it just really worked well.

Without having seen the film, overall the piece seems a little too intimate, is the father just part of the background in this scene and what is important is getting the divorce papers?
    The movie deals a lot with the failed communcation between the father and his two children. The scene is mostly for the son and his divorce, but is also about his inability to share his sorrow with his father.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I'd rather hear the Strad violin besides the Guarneri, but that's just me.
    I always listen to all three of the solo violins to see what sounds right. I end up picking Guarneri more often then the Strad, but I always go by my ear. This piece simply didn't work with the Strad at all! Of course I can't wait for Garritan Solo Violin. I might have to repost this then.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I always listen to all three of the solo violins to see what sounds right. I end up picking Guarneri more often then the Strad, but I always go by my ear. This piece simply didn't work with the Strad at all! Of course I can't wait for Garritan Solo Violin. I might have to repost this then.
    Now that will sounds great! I look forward to it.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum