• Register
  • Help

Topic: A bit puzzled...

Share/Bookmark

Question A bit puzzled...

I imported a midi file into Cubasis VST4. The 16 channels show, and I assigned 16 instruments using GPO VST1 and 2, but there is no sound from Chromatic Harp, Timpani or String Section Bass. The notes to be played are within the range of the instruments.
    The other 13 instruments do sound. There is no activity in the GPO green light for the 3 non-sounding items, but the activity light in Cubasis does flash.. So I assume the midi file is OK (?), but the "message" is not getting through to GPO.
    Being a newcomer, I would appreciate some help/comments with this - probably something simple, but I have run out of ideas!

Re: A bit puzzled...

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene
    I imported a midi file into Cubasis VST4. The 16 channels show, and I assigned 16 instruments using GPO VST1 and 2, but there is no sound from Chromatic Harp, Timpani or String Section Bass. The notes to be played are within the range of the instruments.
    The other 13 instruments do sound. There is no activity in the GPO green light for the 3 non-sounding items, but the activity light in Cubasis does flash.. So I assume the midi file is OK (?), but the "message" is not getting through to GPO.
    Being a newcomer, I would appreciate some help/comments with this - probably something simple, but I have run out of ideas!
    The simple suggestion is to make sure your channels match up with your midi channels assigned in the various instruments. (say, in VST1, you have the chromatic harp on midi channel 3 in the GPO player VST, make sure that you have assigned that midi channel for that track and that it matches the midi channel shown in the GPO player. I hope that made sense.
    Also - I am not sure what it is in Cubasis, but I know in Cubase SX, you have to turn audio monitoring ON for each track before you hear ANYTHING.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    The simple suggestion is to make sure your channels match up with your midi channels assigned in the various instruments. (say, in VST1, you have the chromatic harp on midi channel 3 in the GPO player VST, make sure that you have assigned that midi channel for that track and that it matches the midi channel shown in the GPO player. I hope that made sense.
    Also - I am not sure what it is in Cubasis, but I know in Cubase SX, you have to turn audio monitoring ON for each track before you hear ANYTHING.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry W. for reply. Actually after further checking I have discovered that none of the 8 instruments on Personal Orchestra VST2 are sounding - whereas all of those on VST1 are! So there is some setting not selected. This is the first time I've gone over 8 instruments (just have product 1 week).
    Otherwise the channel/track numbers all look correct.
    So the plot thickens...

Smile Re: A bit puzzled...

Thanks Jerry W. for reply. Actually after further checking I have discovered that none of the 8 instruments on Personal Orchestra VST2 are sounding - whereas all of those on VST1 are! So there is some setting not selected. This is the first time I've gone over 8 instruments (just have product 1 week).
    Otherwise the channel/track numbers all look correct.
    So the plot thickens...
    Problem solved: When all else fails, read the manual!
    On VST2 the midi channels are automatically assigned to 1 - 8, so these needed to be changed to 9 - 16. So VST3 would require 17 - 24 and so on.
    It took me a while to realise that.

Problem solved: When all else fails, read the manual!
    On VST2 the midi channels are automatically assigned to 1 - 8, so these needed to be changed to 9 - 16. So VST3 would require 17 - 24 and so on.
    It took me a while to realise that.
    Yep! You said yourself it was probably something simple.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum