• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Competition Rehearsal - Day 2

Share/Bookmark

GPO Competition Rehearsal - Day 2

Today we had a full day of rehearsals.

We went through the scores of Richard Birdsall, Craig Reeves, Bill Pearson and Ken-P - all a number of times.

The orchestra also did some works of Andy Brick's.

It looks like the orchestra will pull this off by dress rehearsal tomorrow morning and everything will be ab fav (absolutely fabulous!).

During rehearsals, the weaknesses and problems become apparent. We had to do some on-the-spot arranging - nothing singificany, but areas needed smoothing and reworking. This happens often. Every orchestra is different. There are some challenges for the orchestra. The players have been very helpful and constructive - Helping out where they can, and working through some difficult parts. The conductor did mention that playing Craig Reeve's peice was like doing the 'Rite of Spring' with only two rehearsals.

I'm slowly getting over my MIDI-Mockup-itis. The real versions will be different then the MIDI versions. The human element will make it apparent in the live performance. That's what makes it real! However, in some instances, I like the MIDI version better. (Andy is currently pouring beer on my head for saying that).

Hope many of you can tune in for tomorrow's concert. Here is the link to the Live Broadcast tomorrow, Thursday March 31st, 2005 at 6PM GMT (1PM EST, 10am PST).

We'll keep you posted.

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: GPO Competition Rehearsal - Day 2

Ah, this would have been an experience to be there! Pretty exciting though and much thanks to both Gary and Andy for keeping us informed!
    Maybe someone would be so kind as to record this broadcast for me? It looks as if I will miss the broadcast.
    Styxx

Re: GPO Competition Rehearsal - Day 2

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Ah, this would have been an experience to be there! Pretty exciting though and much thanks to both Gary and Andy for keeping us informed!
    Maybe someone would be so kind as to record this broadcast for me? It looks as if I will miss the broadcast.
    I'm with you Styxx...

I need to rehears my choir about 19:00 GMT so it would be great if it would be recorded so I could listen after the rehearsal or the day after.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Today we had a full day of rehearsals.

We went through the scores of Richard Birdsall, Craig Reeves, Bill Pearson and Ken-P - all a number of times....The conductor did mention that playing Craig Reeve's peice was like doing the 'Rite of Spring' with only two rehearsals.
    Gary Garritan

Craig,
    That's some pretty good company to be in, man. Congratulations!

I also hope that a recorded CD can be published...I've held off on listening to any of the posted MP3s so that I could hear the live versions first.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Hope many of you can tune in for tomorrow's concert. Here is the link to the Live Broadcast tomorrow, Thursday March 31st, 2005 at 6PM GMT (1PM EST, 10am PST).

Gary Garritan
    My Czech is just slightly rusty -- hope I can figure out where to click, tomorrow... lol.

I am most definitely looking forward to this!

Will there be recordings of the broadcast available, later?

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

What would really be neat is if someone could video tape the concert, then we could see the orchestra and all of our GPO participant's reaction when their composition was played.

Yes, exciting it is...........for all of us.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Fantastic idea. .. . . video pleaseeee!!!!

I'd pay for a DVD of that!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

The conductor did mention that playing Craig Reeves's peice was like doing the 'Rite of Spring' with only two rehearsals.

What's that supposed to mean? Is it hard to count or something? Heh, *I* coulda told ya that! lol!

I know parts of the development like 4:41 - 5:36 and 6:23 - 6:36 are NASTY. Hehehe. Funny how those are my favorite parts, hehe!

(Oh yeah, and that piano can just let it all out at 7:07 - 7:13, heheheh!)

Y'all I can't wait! Fo' real!

Hey, the mp3 on Gary's site is only 4:43 long. You're telling me that I'm missing the best parts? I'll pay close attention during the broadcast!

BTW, I like it when composers stretch the performers. A small sadistic streak can be a good thing.

-JF

Go Back to forum