• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A controller with a difference

Share/Bookmark

A controller with a difference

I know there's been alot of discussion recently about what we would like from future sample libraries, the possibilities of physical modelling and so on.

I often wonder about the midi spec and also the keyboards we use to manipulate our samples. I sometimes wonder if our method of inputting the data has to improve to keep up with the possible technological leaps that sample libs and PM are making.

I came across this intriguing piece of hardware;

http://www.cerlsoundgroup.org/Continuum/

Some interesting points;

"The performer must place fingers accurately to play in tune and can slide or rock fingers for glissando and vibrato."

"The z (pressure) position of each finger provides dynamic control. The performer produces tremolo by changing the amount of finger pressure. An experienced performer may simultaneously play a crescendo and diminuendo on different notes."

"The y (front-to-back) position of each finger provides additional timbre control for each note in a chord. By sliding fingers in the y direction while notes are sounding, the performer can create timbre glides. Depending upon the capabilities of the synthesizer used with the Continuum Fingerboard, the y position can have a variety of effects. One possibility is to let the y position on the Continuum Fingerboard correspond to the bowing position on a string instrument, where bowing far from the bridge produces a mellower sound and bowing near the bridge produces a brighter sound."

Has anyone played with this? I hope it might come down in price before I take the leap..
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: A controller with a difference

They're very proud of it, no doubt.

That sounds a bit cryptic Bruce. Care to share your thoughts on this bit of gear?

Im genuinely interested in advancing the way we "play in" our music and what other composers think about the idea too.

Whether this is the right tool for the job I have no idea.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

It looks very expressive , and hard to play too ! Just like a vertical theremin with the feel of a keyboard . The "blind system" ( 2 - 3 - 2 - 3 ) looks pretty cool . This would be a great controller if you get to master it .
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Scott, there was a Video from NAMM floating around NS, of the maker and the guy who created Kyma playing this thing and it looks and sounded amazing to me. I think you`d have to really dedicate yourself for a few months to learning how to play it right. It reminds me more of Pedal Steel tech. than Piano tech. actually. I reallly want to get one too one day...Rich
    BTW, i looked into those diff. Asus Xeon boards and you right yours makes more sense overall...

Thanks guys, glad the mobo worked out for your Rich.

Let me know how you get on building your Xeon and if I can help out. (I could always pick your brains about Samplitude in return )
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Wink Re: A controller with a difference

The "fretless" keyboard.

Looks like something I'd eat Sushi off of.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I seem to remember Squids (Dave Kerzner of Sonic Reality) posting about the Continuum and speaking highly of it. At $5290 for the full-size version you probably need to be a successful sound developer to afford one, tho.

/Yoss

I had sent an e-mail to Lipold ( the creator ) some time ago suggesting he should offer a "keyboard layout" with it so you can actually see what you are playing.

He replied , words among his reply was "You can come anytime by and try it out with your sound module or with the ones i have here" . So if you guys feel like checking it out and you live around there , i think he wouldn't mind at all
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Go Back to forum