• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Best movie intro music of all time?

Share/Bookmark

Best movie intro music of all time?

I'm wondering what you think is the best intro music (main title music) for a motion picture of all time (OK, the one you like best).
    My vote goes for Vertigo (Bernard Herrmann). This one really grabs me and sets the tone for the movie.

And Signs (James Newton Howard) is not too shabby either.

Re: Best movie intro music of all time?

No Contest for me

Trumpet fanfare at the top of Star Wars

Makes me cry tears of joy every time

Add another vote for Star Wars.

I think Morriconi's opening for The Untouchable's was also quite good.

I don't think I could choose a single favorite over all, but one of the first ones that came to mind for me was the opening of The Last of the Mohicans, Randy Edelman. I loved so much of that music, and while I wouldn't include the overall score in my top ten fav's, the opening did set the scope of the film up nicely I thought.

Mike Oldifeld's Tubular Bells, used in The Exorcist.

Superman The Movie had a great title sequence with awesome music. The string writing on that march by Williams is still mind-blowing!

I was standing in a private theatre of a hi-fi shop a few years ago and just as I walked in Gladiator started playing. I was the only one there and the timing was kind of weird as it started when I entered the room.

I love that film and the music in it. I especially like the musical swell just as the word "Gladiator" comes on the screen.

Sets the mood very nicely for me.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Also Sprach Zarathustra and 2001, of course!!

Unless we're talking original scores. I'd think very seriously about giving the nod to Wizard Of Oz in that case. (I think Exorcist is a good pick as well).

Also, Magnificent Seven and possibly The Great Escape. Oh, and Patton, for a different approach.

folman just reminded me of a couple others:

Elfman's HULK- love how Ang Lee cut the film like a comic book including those white panels with split screens, wipes, dissolves accompanied by Elfman's Herrmannesque 6 note descending motif.

Talented Mr. Ripley with the fragmented images of Tom Ripley accompanied by "Lullaby for Cain" (Yared).

I love ALIEN opening credits. Brilliant Goldsmith music with the aleatoric string pizz. along with col legno strikes through the ol' Echoplex. And the low flute lines. Ahhh. Nothing was more eerie and a perfect contrast to the Star Wars post-romantic style associated with sci-fi films leading up to ALIEN.

Elfman's BATMAN was pretty amazing too, where his bombastic theme follows the camera around the BAtman logo.

David Shire's TAKING OF PELHAM 1,2,3. Okay, anyone who writes a 12 tone big-band chart gets top marks in my books! Excellent '70's score.

THE SHINING- expansive mountain vistas accompanied by Wendy Carlos' scary-~~~ synth rendition of the ancient Dies Irae. The vocals still send shivers down my spine when I hear this music. Amazing stuff.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast