• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT...I just saw the biggest shooting star...

Share/Bookmark

OT...I just saw the biggest shooting star...

I've ever seen in my entire life... It wasn't Lockheed either... I thought it was gonna hit the ground... Anyone else see this?,. It had to be visible to the entire continental US.... It lasted like 7 seconds....

Re: OT...I just saw the biggest shooting star...

No, I wanna see the northern lights BIGTIME though... At least in washington on up.... No this was a big falling star that I saw tonight, Very big, I'm sure it will probably make some news of some sort in our media... I'm used to Lockheed shooting off test rockets where I live, and other sorts of stuff... This was a very big falling star... I know many others had to have seen it...

You know what though.... I can't be for certain that it wasn't a stray rocket from lockheed to tell ya the truth, But it looked like a rock very close to us... It didn't zig zag like a rocket from Lockheed, It shot in a straight line extremely bright, and lasted so long, It looked like it was earthbound.. It was very cool looking, I wish I had a vid of it... Enough to make me cringe a little... OK, I'm starting to doubt myself.. We have so many anti-Missile rockets where I live, It could have been a test gone waaaaaay wrong... Unless I hear someone else saying they saw it, I would have to believe I prolly saw an Anti-Missile test... We're right on the coast of california, In a sleepy town called Santa Cruz, But in this sleepy town, We have MAJOR thinktanks at our Local Lockheed facility... BUt it sure looked different than our rocket test's......

I went on a mission trip to Mexico months ago, and since there were no city lights (or any for that matter) for many miles, you could see all the stars. I got to see the Milky Way for the first time! Truly a surreal sight. When we laid outside on our cots, we stared straight up into the sky and just counted shooting stars. I think I tallied ten or so in an hour. There was one that almost made me fall off my cot - it wasn't a quick streak across the sky. It moved fairly slow, and REALLY REALLY lit up, bright enough to change colors. My friend and I traded glances and added, "WAS THAT AWESOME!?"

Other possibilities:

1) Satellite debris falling to earth

2) an SR71

3) Aurora ….heheh did I say that? Oh well, if a U.S. General can make a mistake at a news conference and spill the beans about a top secret U.S. project, I feel that I’m entitled to a goof .

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Talking Re: OT...I just saw the biggest shooting star...

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Hey Brian!

Cool new image!

Take care with that Camry, and don't burn too much rubber!

Ern
    Another possibility: It was me in my old BuickGS flyin' around .

Great mileage on the Camry...but it only takes Supreme Gas!!!LOL!!!
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I went on a mission trip to Mexico months ago, and since there were no city lights (or any for that matter) for many miles, you could see all the stars. I got to see the Milky Way for the first time! Truly a surreal sight. When we laid outside on our cots, we stared straight up into the sky and just counted shooting stars.

I had much the same experience here in England last summer when I was boating in Norfolk. Its about the flatest area in the UK so you really see a panoramic view of the heavens and the sky was crystal clear. Myself and a couple of mates took a few beers on deck and just sat staring at the whole show when we noticed shooting stars every few minutes or so. One of the most spellbinding nights of my life. We mortals have a tendency to discuss it in purely scientific terms now but its nice to shut off from that and try to silently explore the untouchable majesty of it in the same way our ancestors did, without knowledge of what it is.
    Trev Parks

Amen broda!

Maybe someone here was at this show.

It was a Widespread Panic show at Red Rocks Amphitheatre outside Denver in '97 or '98. They were covering that song Can't Find My Way Home, ya know.... "Come down off your throne, and leave your body alone".

Anyway, this shooting star streaks across the sky directly perpendicular to the stage. Half-way through it's visible path it breaks into 2 shooting stars that continue at slightly different angles. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd go so insane.

Red Rocks is a very special place. Imagine the Hollywood Bowl surrounded by giant red rock shards that shoot up out of the ground. If you're ever in Denver it's a must see. And if there isn't a show that day you can enter the amphitheatre for free. Bring your bongos.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Go Back to forum