• Register
  • Help

Topic: De-essing dilemma (a little OT)

Share/Bookmark

De-essing dilemma (a little OT)

I posted this in the Cubase forum, but I know there's lot of expertise here.

I am using SX’s desseing plug to try to fix a vocal that has too much “sssssss”. I usually do not do vocals in my project studio, so I have very little experience in this area.

When I get the eq sounding nice with just the right amount of crispness, the ‘sssss’ start sounding like ripping silk. When I apply the desser to get rid of it, the singer sounds like he’s got a bad cold or a speech impediment.

Are there better desser’s? I downloaded a free one with about the same results. Re-recording is not an option. Any ideas?

SX 3.0.2, studio projects C1 Mic.

(I'm using Bardstown The Bass the The Bosendorfer, and well as various other samples...to make this thread on-topic)

Re: De-essing dilemma (a little OT)

I have had ok results with the waves Rdesser - but I personally think that the advent of the DAW has made dessers a bit redundant. It really doesn't take too long to manually draw in volume automation on the essess and the results are vastly better than using a plug. If your automation is unresponsive then simply hardwrite it as an offline process and import that...

Waves does have a pretty good de-esser. Keep in mind that de-essers only remove the sibilance, the 4,5 to 5,5k area. Many times if the "s" is sung or spoken too loud or too close to the mic it will distort, making the "s" sound crappy but not in the sibilance region. The distorted "s" is a really hard thing to remove because that distorted characteristic can range from 4 or 500 Hz all the way to 2,500.

So do these esses make your ears hurt or do they just sound really bad? In the latter case, I'd rely on eq to remove it in conjunction with attenuating all the instances of the ess. If it sounds clean but makes your ears hurt then a de-esser might help. I've found that sometimes when you use a de-esser and it deadens the high-end, you can compensate by gaining the 2,500-3,500 area and the 10,000 plus area. It's not quite the same but it sounds better than a dead vocal.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Quote Originally Posted by chrisr
    I It really doesn't take too long to manually draw in volume automation on the essess and the results are vastly better than using a plug.
    Agreed. If you're precious about it, best results definately come from drawing in volume indentations on the attacks. works a treat

The Waves deEsser is good in conjunction with this technique if set to the right threshold (as to avoid the impediment/lisp sounds). Try to go for the frequency specific mode on the deEsser. ie 5kh.
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

[QUOTE=chrisr]I have had ok results with the waves Rdesser - but I personally think that the advent of the DAW has made dessers a bit redundant. It really doesn't take too long to manually draw in volume automation on the essess and the results are vastly better than using a plug.[QUOTE]

Ditto this. Certainly try a de-esser first, since one button could conceivably make your problems go away. But it is really not too much work to hand-tweak the track, and you get the opportunity to have every single one be a perfect sonic event. It's definitely the best way. Had DAW software been around forever, there would be no such thing as a de-esser.

a good free de-esser is Spitfish. Give it a try.

Go Back to forum