• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO Competition Performance

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up GPO Competition Performance

Congratulations to all!
    Happily, I was able to catch the first four pieces and all I can say is, FANTASTIC!
    The orchestra was superb (especially the trumpet player). Hopefully someone recorded on DVD the whole concert. I would pay for a copy, please, to see the rest of the performance.
    I have to be honest, when the first frame hit my lap top screen, my eyes watered. Gary, I know I've said it before; you have brought the symphonic orchestra back to the forefront of music!
    Long live the orchestra!
    Styxx

Re: Competition performance

Absolutely. The age of the winner, reminded me how poorly we do as a society in introducing our young people to the wonder of hearing a live orchestra.

Thanks to Gary Garritan and colleagues for helping to reignite the flame!

Rich

What he said...

This was just fantastic. Congratulations once again to all the winners...

I truely enjoyed it. Thanks to the Garritan team.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Congratulations to all!
    Happily, I was able to catch the first four pieces and all I can say is, FANTASTIC!
    Hopefully someone recorded on DVD the whole concert. I would pay for a copy, please, to see the rest of the performance.
    I have to be honest, when the first frame hit my lap top screen, my eyes watered.
    Amen! Couldn't be said better...

I would pay for a copy as well, as I only caught the last piece. Ladies and gentlemen, this is great day (or night depending on your location)!

Yes, it was a great performance. Glad I was able to catch it. Congrats to Gary, Andy, Richard, Kentaro, Bill, Craig, and everyone else involved in this.
    Tim

Well, I tried to catch it, but I didn't hear about the revised schedule until it was too late. If there's to be a recording available, I'd love to hear it.

Meanwhile, congratulations to all winners. This will be something you will never forget!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I missed the beginning due to the time change, but what I saw was great!

I'm quite familiar with Andy's Grand Hungarian Overture, and have even studied his five staff sketch in detail. What a blast to hear it live!

The dynamics were quite different than the mock-up, with the woodwinds much softer than in the synthetic version. There were a couple of places where the players weren't as crisp as in Andy's performance. Also, Andy's tubular bells were a bit overpowering in the mock up, while the glock in the live version was too timid. Something in between would have been best.

The big difference was how integrated the live performance feels. It blends so darn well. On the other hand the mock up is more effective at drawing your attention to the most important melody or counter melody at any given time.

Then again, the same is true for any pop group's studio album vs. live album. So we have two phenomena going on here: one is the difference between human and MIDI, and the other is the difference between live and studio.

I'd love to know how much close mic'ing, mixing, punch ins and sweetening are done for high-budget hollywood films. How different is a hollywood recording from a live recording?

Anyway, it looked and sounded like a great success. All invoved can be proud of your achievements. I'll be looking forward the re-broadcast and whatever other recordings of the event are released.

How does one say "cheers" in Czechoslovakian?

-JF

Congratulations to all the players and especially Gary Garritan, what a class act!

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

I'd love to know how much close mic'ing, mixing, punch ins and sweetening are done for high-budget hollywood films. How different is a hollywood recording from a live recording? -JF
    Jon, listen closely to John Williams' Jurassic Park Original movie soundtrack CD and you can hear cutting and pasting by an engineer who does not know how to cover up these things.

Still a great sounding CD though.

dpDan

Thumbs up Re: Competition performance

Congratulation to all, in particular to Gary.
    The orchestra has been really fantastic!!
    Great Job,

Roberto

Argh, I missed it . . . but I knew I would . . . I look foward to hearing a re-broadcast!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum