• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any suggestions would be appreciated

Share/Bookmark

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I am looking for just a midi controller"no keyboard but just a control box". Do these exist? Unfortunately I do not have the greatest of keyboards and can only use mod wheel/sustain/velocity and aftertouch. It will not allow you to assign other controlers. I was hopeing there was just a box"no keyboard" or something that you can chain from the keyboard(maybe sit it on top of the darn keyboard!) to the computer that has assignable midi controls. All the hidden controllers in GPO have to be physically drawn.

Do any companies make just controllers without a keyboard? Im hoping this is the case as new keyboards are spendy. If anyone can help I would be most appreciative.

Re: Any suggestions would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Cantabile
    I am looking for just a midi controller"no keyboard but just a control box". Do these exist? Unfortunately I do not have the greatest of keyboards and can only use mod wheel/sustain/velocity and aftertouch. It will not allow you to assign other controlers. I was hopeing there was just a box"no keyboard" or something that you can chain from the keyboard(maybe sit it on top of the darn keyboard!) to the computer that has assignable midi controls. All the hidden controllers in GPO have to be physically drawn.

Do any companies make just controllers without a keyboard? Im hoping this is the case as new keyboards are spendy. If anyone can help I would be most appreciative.
    I am quite sure that some major companies build these, so hopefully someone will be able to make recommendations. I would like to direct you to

www.doepfer.de

I don´t know their Midi Fader Box, but I once owned one of their masterkeyboards, and I liked it very much. They´re not as expensive as some major companies also....

Quote Originally Posted by efreitag
    I am quite sure that some major companies build these, so hopefully someone will be able to make recommendations. I would like to direct you to

www.doepfer.de

I don´t know their Midi Fader Box, but I once owned one of their masterkeyboards, and I liked it very much. They´re not as expensive as some major companies also....
    Thank you. Though the products listed only added confusion Im not sure exactly. I can try to explain but im not a studio person or have much knowledge of such equipment.
    I have a midi keyboard, unfortunately it does not have all the assignable controllers that the GPO update requires(sure I found you can do this inside the sequencer) but I would like to be able to use some of the controllers live. With this in mind I was wondering if I can supplement my keyboard with something that has just assignable midi knobs switches ect to unlock the hidden controllers while playing live. Im sure its on that page I just need more direction as to what exactly

Go to any online suppliers, such as Musician's Friend, and type in "Evolution UC33e" or "Behringer BCF 2000" and have a look at those; they were recommended to me by a very knowledgeable person. When I get enough money, I will probably get the UC33e for myself.

Tom

Saw these at www.m-audio.com

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/UC33e-main.html
    47 assignable MIDI controllers
    24 knobs, 9 faders, 14 buttons
    33 memory locations
    drawbar mode for clasic organ emulators
    presets and panel templates for popular software

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/XSession-main.html
    16 assignable MIDI control knobs
    10 assignable MIDI buttons
    assignable 60mm crossfader for mixing and scratching
    LCD screen displays controller assignments

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/Tr...nger-main.html
    16 velocity and pressure-sensitive pads
    individual assignable pressure on each pad
    8 assignable knobs, 4 assignable faders
    pre-programmed maps for Live, Reason, GM Drum, XG Drum, and iDrum
    powered from USB connection or optional DC power supply
    includes free Ableton Live Lite 4

Hi Cantabile,

Here is a review from Sound on Sound of the Behringer controlers. If you can't access this page because you are not a subscriber, pm me and I'll send you a pdf.

Karl

Have you considered getting a whole new keyboard controller? Their prices are not too bad.

I get confused by the MIDI stuff sometimes as well. I guess that is why I stick with good old Finale and my 12 year Roland XP-80.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

THanks all for the replies. Im looking at the suggestions now

Jess I honestly just want something for live playing of instruments as its very fun , but certain controls on the update just cannot be executed with my current keyboard Unfortunately it looks like prices for just the box add on controls are as expensive as alot of keyboards from looking, sheesh. That in itself puzzles me.

Thumbs up Re: Any suggestions would be appreciated

If you can find one, a Roland A-80 is a fantastic keyboard master controller. I have one, and with the GPO Steinway, I can't wait to get home from work to play it! It has the most realistic piano action of any keyboard that I have every played.

Go Back to forum