• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Romantic Piece for Violin and Harp

Share/Bookmark

Romantic Piece for Violin and Harp

This is a piece for violin and harp. I used mostly EWQL (stage and hall samples)and supplemented it with other samples.

http://www.planetcanadice.com/Music/...ne_M.Drost.mp3

Mixing the native reverb of the EW samples with the imported reverb for the other violin sample is tricky and you can probably hear the transition.

Please give it a listen and let me know what you think about the mix and the music. It wears its emotion on its shirtsleeves.

Marko

Smile Re: Romantic Piece for Violin and Harp

Very good job Marko!!!
    really a lovely piece!
    Can I ask you what EWQL did you have use?
    The music is really emotional and the mix is fine (maybe a little more 'verb?)
    Very good job!!
    congratulations,
    best
    Roberto

Re: Romantic Piece for Violin and Harp

Wow Marko,

Great piece. Nice ambience and mix. I love what the harp's doing there. :-) It sounds great.

Cheers,
    -Sid.

Thanks Sid.

Thanks Roberto.

I used the violin and the harp from the EWQLSO strings volume with the hall and stage mic samples.

A glissando violin sample from another library is used too.

Any guesses where that sample is from?

Marko

Listening with headphones I hear the violin moving around the stereo field quite wildly and not just on the glissando samples. The faster attack notes definitely come out noticeably to the right, while the slower attack notes are towards the left. Different patches presumably? The glissando notes (with the exception of the one at 2:07) are very noticebly further forward sounding. I would hazard a guess the glissandos are from KHSS. The Romantic Violin perhaps?

The composition is very nice.

This song is nice but i have to agree with what dcb said . The samples just don't match together . The downward glissando sounds like an erhu
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

DCB and Theodor,

Thanks for listening to this.

I agree. With headphones, the mismatch between the samples is even more obvious.

But the faster and slower attack notes are all from EWQLSO (the stage amd hall mic samples) and they are both set at a the dead center. The movement you hear, I think, must be a feature of the samples themselves. (I'll go back and check my MIDI event list.)

The glissandos are not from KHSS. They are from an older library.

An erhu? What sort of instrument is that?

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    An erhu? What sort of instrument is that?
    It's the equivalent of a violin for China . It is used in Chinese orchestras as well.
    If you listen to traditional Chinese music it's all around the place, very expressive and sorrowful sound , it usually plays bends up and down

And it looks something like this :

And this site has a ( terrible unfortunately ) Free Erhu soundfont and some streaming links to hear the real thing with orchestra or solo :

http://www.musicmall-asia.com/malays...truments/Erhu/

Direct Mp3 : Mp3
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Here's a different mix of the same sequence.

http://www.planetcanadice.com/Music/...eB_M.Drost.mp3

I used the close mic samples exclusively for harp and violin and put it through an external reverb unit. It does not have the air of the other mix, but I think the imported glissando sample mixes in better (although it may still sound like an 'erhu'). Nonetheless, I think you will still hear the shifting of some of those notes across the stereo field and I think this is inherent in the samples or their programming.

What do you think?

The piece is very nice, and you're done a good job handling the samples. Aside from the stereo field shifts, it's pretty convincing to me, and I'm very picky, being a cellist. It seems you've eliminated the typical "sucking" sound of solo string samples by avoiding legato transitions for the most part. In general, that's not a bad idea, although it limits the kinds of lines you can compose.

You can automate panning in your sequencer program to compensate for the panning problems of the samples, or better yet, go into the sampler instrument file and fix the panning there.

Don

Go Back to forum