• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO Competition Concert - Post Performance Thoughts...

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up GPO Competition Concert - Post Performance Thoughts...

I was really impressed with tonight's performance. The players executed their parts very well and Petr, our conductor did a great job. Hearing it live in person was very exhilerating.

Everything came together. After the first reahearsal I had some trepidation. Wrongs notes were hit, parts had to be re-arranged, scores had to be adjusted. It didn't quite sound like the midi renditions. I began to doubt and suffered from a case of midi-itis. You can sit at home and make everything perfect in MIDI-land but when you get to a live performance the human element comes through 64 times over.

I learned that practice and a common vision brings the group together. The conductor hones the orchestra, they become a team and they all work together. I cant express the words of admiration I have towards our conductor Petr. He took these unknown works and made them alive. He translated them to the orchestra so these 64 players became one. What a talent to be able to do that. His conducting was brilliant (Andy is now towel-drying the beer off of Garys head). The biggest thing I learned is that the real orchestra is the standard to strive for. I learned a great deal that I will incorporate into future libraries.

I was so fortunate to have the assistance of Andy Brick. He has orchestrated hundreds of times and all the scoring and preparations were second nature to him. This performance could not have been pulled off without Andy.

I can't wait until next years even and have a lot of great ideas for next year. This must have been a great learning experience for Richard, Craig, Bill and Ken-P as well. This was their night. It was their works and their talnets that made tonights performance a success so lets give them all a virtual round of applause. Thank you very much for watching and supporting the competition performance.

Gary Garritan

Re: GPO Competition Concert - Post Performance Thoughts...

Here's some photos that NS Member Handz took while at the concert...It was nice to meet him and have dinner with him. Thanks Handz.

First and foremost....

That orchestra was absolutely AMAZING!

Those guys and girls made every one of those pieces come to life. I would like to thank all of those people and I swear if I was there I would have given every last one of those players, that conductor, and Andy all a great big hug for doing such a wonderful job with my work. They brought so much of my piece to life, I'm so happy. They did a (excuse my french) KICK-~~~ job on my symphony, ESPECIALLY for only 3 days of rehearsal (that piece is NOT written for only 2 days of practice, it's a difficult piece even for pro orchestras).

The only thing, and I mean the ONLY thing was that the beginning of the piece could have been faster, but like I said, it's quite difficult and I am AMAZED that they were able to pull it off that well. At the end of the song THANK YOU JESUS those horns stepped up and paid attention to the durations of those dotted half notes! The ending was just amazing! Just how I intended it!

Knights and Magic was just off the wall! Absolutely a perfect ten!

I really enjoyed the Pearson as well. I really got to understanding the piece once it was done by a live orchestra.

I have one small question though...

Like I said, I know that the orchestra had only 3 days to practice my piece, but the beginning of it - if the orchestra had more time to practice it, is it playable faster? I want to make sure that it's not unplayable at the speed that I marked it, that's all.

My goodness, I wish I could have been there. These tracks are so beautiful. Gary, I envy you.

Thumbs up Re: GPO Competition Concert - Post Performance Thoughts...

You looked absolutely fabulous Gary! Not to mention those wild and crazy players in the Jazz band man....Oops, sorry, wrong performance.

Seriously though, I was very happy for all of you! The orchestra performed the compositions perfectly! After viewing my first thought was, Oh My God Wait Till Next Years Entries!
    Styxx

Amazing job everyone! Infinite thanks to Gary for creating the competition, and to Andy for helping the pieces sound so wonderful. It is great, humbling, and inspiring to be among such fine composers! The real orchestral versions sound brilliant, I only wish I could've been there in person! Another congratulations to the winners, and thank you for sharing the music.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Great job to all.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    It didn't quite sound like the midi renditions. I began to doubt and suffered from a case of midi-itis. You can sit at home and make everything perfect in MIDI-land but when you get to a live performance the human element comes through 64 times over.

Gary Garritan
    True, but live performance is what it REALLY is all about, at least in my mind. That's where all the drama is...and the source of the magic when a musician, or group of muscians in this case, manages to pull it off!

I just finished listening to all of the live recordings for the umpteenth time again and it was just AMAZING to hear these works...and to see the video feed, from halfway around the world...well, as Styxx said earlier, it kinda got you teary-eyed.

Thank you so much for all the hard work that you and all the others put into this. And another round of congratulations to the winners! I think I'll head home now and raise a toast to you all...

Can't wait for next year!

Big huge fat hearty congrats to everyone involved in this project. What a thrill it must have been!! I can't wait to hear the results!!

Go Back to forum