• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Master's Degree Composition Selecting

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Master's Degree Composition Selecting

Come next year I will be applying to Colorado to get a Masters Degree. I have to submit three compositions with my application, and I need to really impress them because I need some Financial Aid!

Here is what I want from you guys, if you have the time to do a lot of listening. Go to my music page below and tell me what you think I should send.

http://www.fupduckonline.com/music.html

I will probably compose many more works before then, but I want to see what everyone thinks anyhow.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Master's Degree Composition Selecting

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    Here is what I want from you guys, if you have the time to do a lot of listening. Go to my music page below and tell me what you think I should send.
    I just listened the beginning of the first piece, Allegro
    of the first string quartet. The quality of the sound is awful. Forget this at
    least... LG

lgrohn -

Is there any possibility you could remain positive at all? Why be so negatively critical??

I just don't understand.

JessH -

I'll try and listen through your files over the weekend. I've already heard many of them and I'm always impressed!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

LG, I'm sure you're probably a great guy in person but you need to brush up on the old social skills just a tad, bro

I didn't have time to do more than a quick perusal but I think the Woodwind Quartet is a very storng piece and well realized. The second movement especially.

Is there any way that I can look at your scores? I can understand a lot more of what you are composing if I can look at the scores at the same time that I listen to the playback, or even without the playback.

From what I have heard, you have very nice music... from the two or three pieces that I have already listened to.

Plus, I can give you some tips on the notation... but only if you are interested in me doing so.

David

jess, I don't agree with the Finnish fellow's opinion regarding the sound quality on your String Quartet. I think it's fine. Professor's or whatever deciding board in university will look at your full scores- your MIDI mock-ups are ancillary. I think you're writing very high up in the celli register at times but hey, I think that's a cool effect so there ya go.

I also like your Trio for Bassoon, Flute and Piano. The beginning reminds me of that Ligeti piece that they used in Eyes Wide Shut with the extreme registers of the piano being exploited. But I rather enjoy the way you move into the development section with some great contrapuntal motion between the three instruments. And the way you move in and out of a tonal centre is quite interesting. Keeps the ear perked up!

Good work. I'll comment more when I've heard more pieces.

1) Send scores that represent who you are.
    If they accept you, that means THEY are worth teaching you.
    If they don't, that means THEY are not qualified to teach you.

2) Do not send electrically realized recordings, unless the composition is written for it.

P.S.
    This is something that I learned while I was talking to some of the publishers and conductors. Putting op.# to compostions by oneself is somehow gives negative feelings (arrogance or even ignorance) to those people. They recommend me to put the date I composed instead if I want to put some tracking info, and that what I do.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Jess,

Hey. I'll give these a listen this weekend and give you some feedback as well.

I'm not sure that sending electronic recordings of a piece is entirely bad. When I applied for grad school, I sent many electronic recordings of orchestral pieces that I had written and the composition instructor later told me that one of the reasons that I did get accepted with a full teaching assistantship is becuase I showed that, not olny could I compose, orchestrate and conduct, but that I also had a good grasp on the latest technology. So I would suggest sending a bit of both. Just an idea!

By the way, I really like your Quartet for Oboe, Strings and Piano!

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Thanks everyone for your responses so far. It is hard to pick just three works. If I had my way, I would make them view all of them. I will posts some scores soon of the stuff I am leaning towards so those that want to can really see what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-P
    1) Send scores that represent who you are.
    If they accept you, that means THEY are worth teaching you.
    If they don't, that means THEY are not qualified to teach you.
    I agree totally. Funny thing is, they all represent some part of me in some way. When a band I was in played the Chicago Blues Fest we went to Buddy Guy's club afterwards and lo and behold Buddy Guy was there. The sax player wanted to buy one of his CDs so he asked him which was the best. Needless to say, Buddy was pretty put off by the question. He said "They are all good to me, I can't tell you which is the best!"

2) Do not send electrically realized recordings, unless the composition is written for it.

P.S.
    This is something that I learned while I was talking to some of the publishers and conductors. Putting op.# to compostions by oneself is somehow gives negative feelings (arrogance or even ignorance) to those people. They recommend me to put the date I composed instead if I want to put some tracking info, and that what I do.
    I have already asked the Department head if the electronic recordings are okay, because they do require recordings. If they say no, I might be in a fix because being out of school has robbed me of a pool of performers. I would have to make a trip to Nebraska.

As for the opus number thing, I use that system for registering my pieces with ASCAP. I haven't gotten any negative feedback from the professors I have talked to recently, so I will maybe keep them. That, and it takes a loooong time to get stuff updated with ASCAP.

I am working on a Flute Sonata now, plus the score for an animation I am working on, although that is probably not a consideration for submittal by my own standards. After that I plan on creating at least one unique work for a larger ensemble specifically for this endeavour.

It will be nice to be back in school. I miss smart people.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Why? Is there some spesific reason for your advice? LG

Go Back to forum