• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sequencer for iBook G3 900Mhz?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Sequencer for iBook G3 900Mhz?

Is there a Sequencer that works for a (2 years...) old iBook? I see that Logic, Cubase etc. need G4 (or betther G5).
    Bye
    McMatt

Re: Sequencer for iBook G3 900Mhz?

Quote Originally Posted by MacMatt
    Is there a Sequencer that works for a (2 years...) old iBook? I see that Logic, Cubase etc. need G4 (or betther G5).
    Bye
    McMatt
    Perhaps you could get someone who has upgraded their sequencer, to sell or give you an older version of say version 3 of Digital Performer. This it is still a great program. This will work under os 9, but you won't be able to use GPO with it. I would not recommend using os X on the G3. It is huge and will bring your machine to its knees if you were trying to run such programs. I might be wrong, but I don't think you can run anything but the earliest versions of os X anyway, and most software written today requires X.2 or higher.

Best of luck,

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    I might be wrong, but I don't think you can run anything but the earliest versions of os X anyway, and most software written today requires X.2 or higher.l
    I run X.2.8: normally it works fine, but not with virtual instruments. I'll buy a G5 iMac...
    Thanks!
    McMatt

Quote Originally Posted by MacMatt
    I run X.2.8: normally it works fine, but not with virtual instruments. I'll buy a G5 iMac...
    Thanks!
    McMatt
    Matt!!

You need to look at Tracktion!!!

http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion2/index.html

This is for V. 2 which is coming out next month - but I have been using v.1 and it is OUTSTANDING!!
    (Check out my equip below - not very powerful, at all)
    I find it to be CPU/RAM friendly - has a lot of the features found in DAWs three times its price. And it just a fantastic program all around. Unlimited number of Tracks, filters, etc. (whatever your CPU can handle)

Check it out - you will probably need to get a new computer eventually - but if you want to eek out more use from your aging iBook, look at Tracktion. I don't see the specs on it whether or not it requires a G4 or higher to run. But you might give it a try. IF T2 is too much, I know that Shazbot bought T1 and might be willing to sell you his license (they are transferrable) for like $50 or so. You'd just need to find the installer, which I could give you.

Regards!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I second the recommendation for Tracktion. Fantastic program for the money, and very efficient.

Also, provided you have enough RAM in your iBook (max it out, 640 MB), the current OS X version will work quite well on this machine...in fact, 10.3.8 will probably run smoother than any 10.2.x variant - there have been considerable optimizations along the way, and I know that my friend's G3 700 iBook was running smoother with 10.3 than whatever verison of OS X came on it a couple of years ago when it was new.

You'll still be limited for any large-scale virtual instrument usage, especially due to the RAM ceiling on this machine.

Brian

Metro 6 LX would also be a good choice but you need a G4(altivec) or better processor to use virtual instruments. I think MacMatt is on the right track if not Tracktion. Tracktion looks like it is easy to learn with just the one window to work with. Metro takes some time to understand but once you get it down you have a lot of control especially with midi sequencing.

Thank You for all your suggestions!

MacMatt

for sequencers for any old g3 or g4 visit the website www.macos9lives.com!!! its another msg forum dedicated to cubase/logic/dp under mac os 9! check it out! and happy music making with os9 machines! the ibook g3 900mhz is the best os9 laptop in my opinion due to its 512k L2 cache!

Go Back to forum