• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Concert Report

Share/Bookmark

Concert Report

Hi people. I just got back home from my visit to Olomouc. I haven't read any of the posts yet. But I thought I'd post a quick report.

I realy enjoyed meeting Gary, Andy and Petr. They're all realy great. I'm so gratetfull to them for what they have done. Thank you.

As for the other entrants pieces - I loved them all. They sounded GREAT, and I was moved by them. WELL DONE!!!!!!!

It was a nice suprise for me to hear some of Andy's music preformed live, and also for him to tell me little bits about it before hand, things that I looked out for during the concert and rehersal. (by the way Andy, I spotted all the things you pointed out and I loved your pieces!).

As for seeing my own music live for the first time - what can I say? I cant compare the feeling I had when I heard it for the first time to ANYTHING. Best experience of my life.

Thanks,

Richard.

Re: Concert Report

Richard, glad to hear that you had a good time. I'm sure it must have been amazing to hear your work performed live for the first time. I'm sure given your talent and your age that it won't be the last time you're works will be performed. Again, congrats and I'm glad you had a good time.
    Tim

Richard, you have a lot to be proud of, and rightfully so!

Dan

Richard,

Loved your piece and shared it with my wife. Being a prof, she naturally asked where you were going to school. I said, I don;t know. Mind sharing?

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Richard,

I'm so happy for you. I hope you have lots of pictures and such to someday show your kids and grandkids. You write lovely music and you deserve all the great things that a career in music can bring. I wish you much luck and we all on this forum are proud of you.

Karl

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Congratulations from me also!

It´s a really very good piece of music! I was also amazed by the sound you achieved with GPO (in the mp3).

All the best,
    Michael

Angry Re: Concert Report

Congratulation Richard because:

- you are the winner

- you are very young and you have a life in front of you to become a big master

- your orchestration was really intelligent and smart: you show the variety of combinations and atmosphere possible with GPO.

- your orchestration is a pro-level perfect reproduction of the successfull actual orchestration used by film music composers. You find it, you write it and a real orchestra is able to play it.

BUT:

I think that critics are sometime more useful than congratulations if serious and respectful. I hope that people don't hate me if I write a dissonant note in the concert of compliments and congratulation of the event.

I don't like your harmony and melody choice at all, it's IMHO sometime simply weak, sometime really trivial. To be obvious is not a fault, it help the immediate enjoy of your music. But to be too much obvious is the grave of your futur music.
    Please refine your motivic and harmonic creation, don't stop satisfied only because you are able to recreate John Williams or R.Wagner sound and new unexpected sound combinations and instrument mix.

I'm not partecipating to the competiton, then I talk only because i hope that you stay humble even if you are a winner, and you will be maybe a so good composer, that my actual critic will be listed as the stupid misunderstunding of your contemporary colleagues, in history of music future dictionaries...

good luck,

Fabio

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    BUT:

I think that critics are sometime more useful than congratulations if serious and respectful. I hope that people don't hate me if I write a dissonant note in the concert of compliments and congratulation of the event.

I don't like your harmony and melody choice at all, it's IMHO sometime simply weak, sometime really trivial. To be obvious is not a fault, it help the immediate enjoy of your music. But to be too much obvious is the grave of your futur music.

Please refine your motivic and harmonic creation, don't stop satisfied only because you are able to recreate John Williams or R.Wagner sound and new unexpected sound combinations and instrument mix...
    Fabio,

Just to clarify your constructive and positive critique...

Would you prefer that the harmonies would be come more complex by

1) More interesting voicings of the exiting notes in the chords,

2) Thicker harmonies, such as 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, diminished and augmented notes, and/or

3) More key changes and accidentals.

I haven't formed an opinion in this area regarding Richard's work, but I'm interested to understand your thoughts more deeply.

And I appreciate that your intent is to promote growth with challenges, rather than to retard growth with negativity.

-JF

Exclamation Re: Concert Report

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Fabio,

Just to clarify your constructive and positive critique...

Would you prefer that the harmonies would be come more complex by

1) More interesting voicings of the exiting notes in the chords,

2) Thicker harmonies, such as 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, diminished and augmented notes, and/or

3) More key changes and accidentals.

I haven't formed an opinion in this area regarding Richard's work, but I'm interested to understand your thoughts more deeply.

And I appreciate that your intent is to promote growth with challenges, rather than to retard growth with negativity.

-JF
    FIRST OF ALL: IT'S JUST AN OPINION. The piece is "almost" successful...;-) It win the competiton, and a few people had the will to criticize it. Then in some way it works! But I'm a composer and teacher then I can seriously explain what I say. I would like to be natural English speaking to be less rude and confuse. Please forgive me.

I've not apreciated the frequent parallel moving as full shift to near tone or half tone, without a smart voicing, as countrary motion, or opening or closing intervals. It's more effective if you use it rarely and with more rich and dissonant harmony as you suggest in point 1) and point 2)

I've not appreciated the simple melody treatement, that start very tonal and move to modal or viceversa IMO creating confusion and loosing both tonal and modal sense. It sounds amatorial, even when it's starts or sounds in the beginning good. My feeling is that it happens because of a lack of concentration on the musical base, un-balanced by pressure to focus on orchestration. May be I'm wrong, only Richard can tell us if my suspect is correct.

I've not apreciated the very low level of theme development or variation (not enough melody, rithm, and harmony development, but more a sequence of short ideas and repetitions, more like in movie background or canvas , than in main theme expositions: but no picture help you, then only music must work alone, sorry, I hope it make sense in English...).

I would like to see the score, then I can explain in single bars details what I feel hearing the piece. But sometime the audio music is enough (or even better than score) to find a weak point.

TO KEEP IT POSITIVE:

I add a lost congratulation: the production mastering is really excellent. The mp3 is a masterpiece of mix and sound balance.

Go Back to forum