• Register
  • Help

Topic: top performance

Share/Bookmark

top performance

I\'m interested in professional scoring and orchestral applications. I have a few questions about what the \"dream system\" would be. Let\'s assume that money is no object. I\'m willing to spring for the big bucks for a system and the Miroslav sounds IF it is truly useful and realistic.

1. If I went with 1.6, should I run it on its own computer? I want to record into VST/24. Are there latency issues? Could I record directly to Cubase without doing a DA/AD conversion?

2. If I do set up a computer just for GS, what are the best soundcard, video card, and drive specs? It seems to me that the converters should not be on the soundcard, but in a breakout box for minimum noise. Right now I mix through a ProMix01, but that thing is so noisy and doesn\'t have dig in\'s. I need something more professional.

3. Should I wait for GigaStudio?

4. Who knows more about the NCS44. That actually sounds like something I\'d be interested in, but I can\'t find it anywhere. Is it just the computer I\'m trying to build with GS installed? If so, it could be my easiest solution. What does it cost for each of the versions (256, 384, or 512 voices)?

Thanks in advance.
    John

Re: top performance

>>>>
    1. If I went with 1.6, should I run it on its own computer?
    <<<<

Absolutely! You can run Gigasampler on a slower, secondary computer and do the sequencing and editing on your main machine.

>>>>
    I want to record into VST/24. Are there latency issues? Could I record directly to Cubase without doing a DA/AD conversion?
    <<<<

There are always latency issues. It just depends on how much there is. ASIO 2.0 supposedly reduces it to minimal levels. And you can record directly out from Gigasampler to Cubase with Virtual Audio Cable by NTONYX. You will have greater latency that will require you to adjust the recorded track than if you just used the capture output in Gigasampler.

>>>>
    2. If I do set up a computer just for GS, what are the best soundcard, video card, and drive specs?
    <<<<

If you set up a computer just for Gigasampler, the most important factor is drive access time. SCSI drives are the best in this area with the 10K RPM drives hitting the sub 5ms range. However, Gigasampler will perform well with most of the sub 10ms IDE drives out there now. The best arrangement is to get two drives -- one small drive for Windows and the Gigasampler program, and a second, large and fast drive for the Gigasampler samples.

As far as digital audio cards go, get a GSIF compatible card (http://www.nemesystech.com/support/hardware.html for the latest list). I love my Aarvark Aark 20/20. The low jitter clock make for an especially smooth and musical reproduction of sounds. (For those of you who don\'t believe me, please read up on the effects of jitter in A/D, D/A conversions at http://www.digido.com/jitteressay.html).

The other components in your system aren\'t as important as these first two, so you can get whatever want. A low budget K6 or Celeron based system will work well.

>>>>
    3. Should I wait for GigaStudio?
    <<<<

If you need to work on stuff now, no. It never pays to wait for the latest and greatest because by the time it comes out, the new lastest and greatest stuff is just around the corner. For instance, I needed a faster system for this latest project I\'m working on, so a month or so ago I bought a 650MHz Pentium Coppermine processor instead of waiting for better, more stable AMD Athlon motherboards to come out to use with the faster Athlon processors. However, I\'ve been wanting to get a digital camera for some time now. I finally settled on getting the Canon Pro70, but decided to wait when I found out Canon was coming out with a new version in February. Since I don\'t need a camera, I can afford to wait.

>>>>
    4. Who knows more about the NCS44.
    <<<<

From what I remember of the messages I\'ve read about here, it\'s basically four versions of Gigasampler running on four computers networked together inside of a single box. Price? Somewhere above $25,000 depending on the configuration. Look back in the message base here for more accurate info.

Go Back to forum