• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: a quixck question about via chipsets

Share/Bookmark

a quixck question about via chipsets

hiho together,

i have a quick question about the chipsets of a motherboard.

i remember hearing that via chipsets are not really good for audio pc. is that right or was that a rumor ?

i need a good mobo which has pci-express because i want to be future-setup and no NEC firewire chipset because of my motu 828.

i also went to the computer store today and bought the A8n-E of asus, but the guy made a mistake and the complete motherboard has no firewire port at all. i saw this when i finally arrived home, so i am kinda pizzed

anyone has a clue ?

Re: a quixck question about via chipsets

Quote Originally Posted by Waywyn
    i remember hearing that via chipsets are not really good for audio pc. is that right or was that a rumor ?
    They used to be bad, then good, and now they're bad again.

Years ago, in the Socket 7 days, I had problems getting some very basic audio boards to install properly on VIA boards. When they went to Socket A, things were good. I had no problems. Currently though, things are sour again. I wasn't able to get my Echo MIA to work on the Asus A8V-Deluxe, so I replaced it with an Audiophile 192, and it mostly works, but may also have problems.

The Echo problem is definitely related to the chipset/motherboard. I troubleshot that combination far beyond a reasonable level. The AP 192 problem may be due to corruption of Windows due to the MIA problems. I'd have to re-install Windows and all the rest to find out. (The problem is that the legacy drivers don't work. ASIO and GSIF are fine though.)

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    They used to be bad, then good, and now they're bad again.

Years ago, in the Socket 7 days, I had problems getting some very basic audio boards to install properly on VIA boards. When they went to Socket A, things were good. I had no problems. Currently though, things are sour again. I wasn't able to get my Echo MIA to work on the Asus A8V-Deluxe, so I replaced it with an Audiophile 192, and it mostly works, but may also have problems.

The Echo problem is definitely related to the chipset/motherboard. I troubleshot that combination far beyond a reasonable level. The AP 192 problem may be due to corruption of Windows due to the MIA problems. I'd have to re-install Windows and all the rest to find out. (The problem is that the legacy drivers don't work. ASIO and GSIF are fine though.)

-JF

What version of VIA is on your board? Is it a 64 bit board?
    I've been using the Mia on a 266 chipset and it is currently on a VIA 600 chipset.

i currently don't have an via board but bought one with nvidia chipset.

the cool and funny thing while standing in the shop and choosing pci-express, the right graphic card and to take care to not choose a NEC firewire chipset because i have a motu 828 we finally were so tired that we didnt recognized that the seller sold me a board WITHOUT firewire connection.

this is really stupid, so i have to go again tomorrow and get anotherone.

so i hopefully i find a an asus board with no nec firewire but nvidia chipset and pci express, ... otherwise i am also forced to change the graphic card.

Hi Alex, two of my DAWs have VIA chipsets, DDR266 and DDR 333. Havent had any problems with RME or M-Audio sound cards.

Maybe that helps? I havent bought AMD in a couple of years now.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I seem to remember that mine uses the KT800-Pro chipset. It's 64-bits. Too busy to look it up right now...

-JF

Hey Scott and thanks, also to the other guys.

i know that my motu 828 won't handle NEC firewire chipsets so i think via is not NEC and if you say that your machines run fine, this should be enough to show that the rumor about via and music is no longer true ... at least i hope so

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I seem to remember that mine uses the KT800-Pro chipset. It's 64-bits. Too busy to look it up right now...

-JF
    I assume you also tried the M-Audio drivers for 64 bit systems. I wonder if the problem could be solved with Echo making a new driver.

Even though I don't have a problem with VIA chipsets, I don't have this confidence about them so I'll start using nForce. If I were an Intel user, I'd stick with Intel chipsets, they seem to never conflict with anything even older hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    I assume you also tried the M-Audio drivers for 64 bit systems.
    Actually, no. The 64-bit driver is for 64-bit Windows. For WinXP you use the 32-bit drivers, even on an A64 board.

I exchanged many e-mails with M-Audio about how to resolve the problem. The next step is to do a clean Windows install, and it's not worth it to me at this time. With ASIO and GSIF, I'm able to do what I need.

-JF

SO what kind of latency are you getting out of the AP 192?

Go Back to forum