• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will Kontact 2 or 1.5 work with Sibelius 3.1.3 (MacOSX)?

Share/Bookmark

Will Kontact 2 or 1.5 work with Sibelius 3.1.3 (MacOSX)?

Will Kontact 2 or 1.5.3 work with sibelius 3.1.3?

I'm trying to get sibelius 3.1.3 to playback through Kontact 1.5. And I'm considering Kontact 2 as a solution.

I've got a Imac G5 1.8 ghz, 1 gig ram, OSX 10.3.8, Sibelius 3.1.3, Kontact 1.5 (sampler not silver or gold), built in G5 sound output (no sound card or device), and no keyboard or external midi equipment of any kind.

At first I couldn't even get sibelius to recognize Kontact. But I found this web site which describes how this is accomplished:

http://www.tapspace.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=107

So now Sibelius can 'see' kontact 1.5. I can go in the mixer and select 'Apple IAC Driver Bus 1' as my play back device. I can even hit the 'test' button in sibelius's mixer and hear the sample I loaded in Kontact 1.5.

BUT! when I click on a note OR try to play back any score, the computer freezes completely, (beyond a force quit) and I hear this loud buzzing sound that only goes away when I turn off the computer by holding down the power button.

I'm so close to getting these things to work! What is causing the computer to freeze on playback? Is the loud sound a symptom of something? Perhaps a midi loop somewhere? HELP!

Re: Will Kontact 2 or 1.5 work with Sibelius 3.1.3 (MacOSX)?

I also found this info somewhere on the web (i can't find the website any more) Do you think there is a connection?

Subject: Pro Tools freezes when sending a MIDI note

Question:
    When I setup my midi port in Kontakt and then play a
    note on either of my keyboards, my Kontakt freezes and
    I have to reboot my machine.

Answer:
    Most probably you have created a MIDI loop which
    causes Pro Tools to crash.

Please make sure in Pro Tools menu MIDI -> MIDI input
    devices that IACbus is not selected!

To be 100% sure please disable MIDI ouput device in
    Kontakt MIDI settings and also deselect MIDI through there.

Obviously Pro tools is not sibelius. But could these issues be related?

man this is just silly look dude you have two computers?> because if you dont you can't run anything other then GPO Studio, Kontakt Gold, out board Music devices and Keyboards in Sibelius. Maybe Maple midi would work but I don't recommend it.

Not quite sure why this is so silly. I run Sibelius with Gigastudio 3 on my PC just fine. (no its not possible to connect the G5 and PC, they are in two seperate locations...)

My point is Kontact is a midi device and so is Sibelius. For all intents and purposes Sibelius is basically like any other sequencer... They should be able to comunicate with one another through Apple IAC, and I have found some evidence that they can. Infact they do! (I can hear sibelius trigger the samples through the test button in Playback devices and Mixer) but for some reason it crashes when I play back. I was just wondering if anyone else out there has encountered this or similar problems.

It's almost like Sibelius is configured to "listen" for input on IAC1, and sees its own output "to" Kontakt on IAC1 and starts to pass the input through. . . I've locked my PC up hard when I did this by accident. My local sibelius copy is now set to always listen on my MPU-401 device, and output to whatever setup I have at the moment.
    Andy Finkenstadt, WinXP, P4-2.8GHZ, 3GB, Sonar 4 PE, Sibelius 3. Yamaha CVP-79A.
    EWQL: Gold, GoldPro, Choirs, StormDrum. and Galaxy & Bosendorfer 290, and RealGuitar. And an empty bank account.

OK I see. So it IS a midi loop or midi feedback! So as long as the input under Devices in sibelius is set to anything but IAC1, then things should be fine. I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks alot!

I said it was silly because I thought you were trying to do it on one computer. But you are using two then you will be able to do it...the question of getting to work right and hooking it up though, hmm I not sure about that on a mac.

Quote Originally Posted by inteleky
    OK I see. So it IS a midi loop or midi feedback! So as long as the input under Devices in sibelius is set to anything but IAC1, then things should be fine. I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks alot!
    From my experience, you are exactly right about the MIDI loop. What I've found is that you can simply click on a blank area in the "Input Device" field, (so NOTHING is selected), then once you leave the DEVICES window, that crash will no longer occur.

Jim
    Jim Casella
    Tapspace

Go Back to forum