• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: When will samplers support 22.2 audio?

Share/Bookmark

When will samplers support 22.2 audio?

This is no April Fool's joke...

NHK is doing 22.2 sound with their Ultra HD display. We're talking 4,320 x 7,680 pixels.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/hd_notebook/one.php?id=181

Time to invest in speaker manufacturers?

-JF

Re: When will samplers support 22.2 audio?

100.50 is what you need to get real bass.

"I caught you a delicious bass. It's 100.50."

-Napoleon Dynamite.

Gawd I hate that movie.

Personally, I hope they don't go for 22.2 channels. You know what a PAIN it would be to mix in that?!?

James W.G. Smith

Quote Originally Posted by James W.G. Smith
    Gawd I hate that movie.

Personally, I hope they don't go for 22.2 channels. You know what a PAIN it would be to mix in that?!?

James W.G. Smith
    Two very good points.

That movie had the worst plot ever, and wasn't nearly as funny as advertised.

That would be a GREAT pain to mix, not to mention to set up a mixing ROOM!! Speaker systems would turn into whole rooms rather than a couple square boxes!
    What's wrong with stereo anyway? I thought 5.1 was a bit much, 7.1 was pushing it, 10.2 was waaaaaaaaay overkill, but 22.2???!!!!?!??!?!?!!!??

My $.02

-Chris

I actually really like this idea.
    But will it ever catch on? Setting up a decent 5.1 home theatre system is expensive as it is...

Question Re: When will samplers support 22.2 audio?

From the blurb on NHK:
    The 22.2 multi-channel audio system consists of three layers of speakers--an upper layer of nine speakers, a middle layer of 10, and a lower layer of three--aimed at reproducing an immersive, natural three-dimensional sound field with highly enhanced presence.
    Are you absolutely SURE this is not an April Fool's joke? It sounds from this description that all of the speakers are in the front (with two separate sub-woofer channels?) so where does that leave "surround"?

Or are we to read "layer" here as nine speakers spread around the 360 degrees at the upper, 10 spread around the 360 degrees in the middle and 3 at a "lower" position? Too bad I'm not closer to Aichi, Japan so I could drop by and check out the demo at the World Exposition.

KevinKauai

In 1958 at the World Fair in Brussels, Belgium Varése's Poem Electronique, for 375 speakers was played. I guess that's 375.0 since there weren't any subwoofers Now beat that

I liked that movie!

NHK has been pushing the boundaries for years. I saw their 4,000 x 2,000 pixel video system at NAB last year. I'll go to NAB in a couple of weeks. I don't think they'll demo 22.2, but I'll definitely ask about it. (And I'll check if there are any people giggling in the back room when I ask.)

BTW, the Liger is pretty much my favorite animal...

-JF

Go Back to forum