• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to use Virtual Instruments in dual 1gig successfully?

Share/Bookmark

How to use Virtual Instruments in dual 1gig successfully?

hi I am new to VI's ,I am using dp4.52 on a dual 1gig w/1.5 gig of ram(10.38) system is hitting the wall(kontakt,altered states,hard corebass,ewqlso>gold,perc advent2,sampltank2xl,vapor etc...).............
    My question how do people run VI's successfully in a system like this?do most people record to hard disk and close then open another?do the VI's drain system resources if they are open and not actually engaged?I realize g4 is a bit long in the tooth but I am trying to hold off on a G5 until next generation comes in summer/fall.any tips on how people are using VI's successfully in an older system will be appreciated
    thanks KG

Re: How to use Virtual Instruments in dual 1gig successfully?

I've got a dual 1.25, so I'm not far behind you! And it's crashing a LOT on one composition that has multiple RMX Groove tracks. But I'm pushing it hard. And yes, that is exactly the way I normally work - record the part, get the VSTi out of the workspace although I usually just turn it off until I know all the VSi tracks are correct and final - then I will remove the plug.

I also mix to final in real time on a second computer, depending on the state of the tune-if I need a reference and the tracks are not rendered, I mix to this machine, which is also the one I burn on. Sometimes I just Bounce to Disk (and sometimes (rarely) that crashes, even with full-boat RAM and 40G or more free on the data disk.) If the bounce fails, then it's back to the real-time record audio on computer 2. The connection is digital, so there's no loss. The 2nd box is a cheap PC with a Gina card. It never runs more than 4 tracks, so a low-end solution works as well as the high-priced spread.

If I save from Bouce and render the result to disk, which is the fastest way, I still have to convert at the PC to burn to disk-saving as WAV stopped working an update or so ago, so I save as AIF on the Mac, then copy to the PC and convert there, then burn the CD with Nero. Works like a charm, and gives me some data redundancy as well!

If you didn't want to venture into the PC world, you might want to consider adding one of the new Mac bricks. I haven't used it ever, but the new Garageband might work for mixdown, at least archival. Add a KVM switch so you use the same monitor and keyboard, and you're golden. Even if you get a faster machine, the brick will still kick...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I run DP4.52 on a dual gig as well. I keep the pressure off the Mac by running most of the VI's and samplers on PC's - cross machine MIDI by ethernet (MidiOverLAN) and audio by lightpipe (into 2408's). A lot of us are doing it that way, it seems in ever increasing numbers.

Trond

thanks for the suggestions

The following things have worked for me:

- load as much ram as your machine will take.

- put extra multimedia drives in your machine and dedicate one or more for the sample/library data of your VI. I have 2 SATA WD 10k Raptor drives in my machine, which house the bulky sample data (.dat files, .nks files etc.)

- get an external firewire drive or three for "project" data - and keep backing up. I am partial to LaCie d2 drives - they've been very reliable where many others (Maxtor etc) have not. Just my experience.

- keep the OS updated, with the latest version of OS X if possible.

- run disk utility regularly (repair permissions and verify/repair disks).

- keep your hard drives at least 25% empty (I try to do more.)

- keep your system drive in good shape - defragment when necessary (back up first!)

- it's better IN MY OPINION not to have a ton of freeware/demo plug-ins - better to have less high-quality plugs.

- something I do when possible: render MIDI VI tracks to audio in order to keep the number of instances of plug-ins down. If I find that I need to keep 7 or 8 plug-ins (like EWQLSO or Stormdrum) loaded, I'll save that song, save it again with a new name (Song 1a and Song 1b or something like that), and unload the plugs in 1b, which I begin to work from. If I need to go back to my previous setup for something, I can just load Song 1a again, adding maybe a stereo mixdown of what I've done in Song 1b.

Just one guy's opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by kgdrum
    hi I am new to VI's ,I am using dp4.52 on a dual 1gig w/1.5 gig of ram(10.38) system is hitting the wall(kontakt,altered states,hard corebass,ewqlso>gold,perc advent2,sampltank2xl,vapor etc...).............
    My question how do people run VI's successfully in a system like this?do most people record to hard disk and close then open another?do the VI's drain system resources if they are open and not actually engaged?I realize g4 is a bit long in the tooth but I am trying to hold off on a G5 until next generation comes in summer/fall.any tips on how people are using VI's successfully in an older system will be appreciated
    thanks KG

Go Back to forum