• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Waaay OT - Car audio

Share/Bookmark

Waaay OT - Car audio

Ok, who is a freak like me and spent over $1k on a nice car audio setup? Please, someone say they did or I will feel totally stupid .

James W.G. Smith (Who couldn't stand the stock system in his new car)

Re: Waaay OT - Car audio

I paid about that much extra to get my new Dodge Durango delivered with the infinity surround system upgrade when I bought it new a few years ago. I figured...meh...music is my life....sooooooo...

Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

My ’05 Camry XLE V6 that I just bought has a JBL 8 speaker system with digital satellite radio and six CD changer and all kinds of crazy stuff (which was an expensive option, but of course all they had in stock with other stuff I wanted). I don’t drive much, so it’s kind of pointless . However, on a recent drive to Houston, my wife and I were jammin’ on “Limelight” and “Red Barchetta” from Rush with the sun roof retracted and testing the high speed gas mileage – I must admit – that was fun .

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Ok, good, just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy after all.

Yeah, go for the sub. Its crazy how the engine / wind just totally covers up all the low end. I got a new sony deck (mp3 capable so I can have all my CDs on just a few for the car, woohoo!) amp, an alpine 10" sub (I don't know why people get 2), and 4 kenwood speakers. If this doesn't sound good after I have it installed, I am goona go nuts .

Thanks a bunch,
    James W.G. Smith

If you like your bass BIG, Waves (the audio plug-in people) now have a car stereo version of their MaxxBass technology. Like all their stuff, it sounds AMAZING.

www.wavescaraudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    If you like your bass BIG, Waves (the audio plug-in people) now have a car stereo version of their MaxxBass technology. Like all their stuff, it sounds AMAZING.

www.wavescaraudio.com
    They must have some real smart people at WAVES to venture into this market. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by James W.G. Smith
    Ok, who is a freak like me and spent over $1k on a nice car audio setup? Please, someone say they did or I will feel totally stupid .

James W.G. Smith (Who couldn't stand the stock system in his new car)
    You'll need that money to deal with the increasing gas prices.

I've decided long ago not to invest $$$ in a car audio setup. So often I find the factory equipped sounds superior because it matches the acoustic environment of the vehicle. Sounds systems at Best Buy are mounted on a wall and they may sound great but will diminish in a vehicle.

If your system is nice and loud, please share music that was created by intellectual people that involve either singing, or more instruments than drums and bass with the environment. Crank some Wagner instead of JZ rap ~~~~. Those are the rudest people. I don't want to hear booming bass and words like mutha ###er everywhere I go or at 2 a.m. when I need to sleep.

I haven't yet upgraded my speakers, but I did purchase a new Pioneer receiver, their iPod interface, and Sirius Satellite Radio interface for my Toyota 4Runner. I'm in that vehicle quite a bit, so I thought I would invest in a variety of options for audio. Both interfaces are awesome!!

Even though the speakers were not upgraded, the difference in the factory stereo and the Pioneer sure made a world of difference!!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

I spent 3 grand on my system... What can I say, I like music to sound good!

I can't remember all the stuff in there, not really a car audio freak (studio stuff is more important that I remember -- all I know is it sounds like a concert in there )

Actually ----- i have a component system for the highs, some Infinity's for the mids (that seem to have a fairly flat response compared to a lot of other stuff I heard... I specifically asked for the "old" ones cuz they were less "hyped"). And then I've got the two "10's" that thump pretty nicely! ;-)

The thing about my system is I wanted something that was not overly "scooped" (think smiley face graphic EQ --- not what I wanted. I wanted something that would sound good with different source material.

I've got two amps one for the sub, and one for everything else.

I had them install a compacitor so that my battery doesn't go all crazy.

Used Monster Cable to cable it up (not like it's the best ever, but it's what they had).

Alpine Head unit w/remote... got the crossovers set up on that....

That's about it....

So often I find the factory equipped sounds superior because it matches the acoustic environment of the vehicle. Sounds systems at Best Buy are mounted on a wall and they may sound great but will diminish in a vehicle.
    That's not even close to true about my system. No stock system on earth can hang with it. There's no mistaking it's a good system. I can have both windows rolled down on the freeway and still hear everything clearly, including the bass..... And I don't have to play it loud for it to sound 100x better than ANY stock system. Stock systems are NOT designed "acoustically" for cars, they're designed "economically" for cars. I'm sorry but that statement of yours couldn't be further from the truth. Similar to how you'll hear people say good monitors don't make a difference in mixing. It's usually the folks who don't own it.

James--- you are not a FREAK... musicians that can stand to listen to a stock system are the FREAKS! (joking!)

My stock system was worse than horrible.... it was like the difference between crap $50 computer speakers and genelec 1032's... (yeah, I mix on 1032's, not computer speakers)

KID

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf

I spent 3 grand on my system... What can I say, I like music to sound good!

I can't remember all the stuff in there, not really a car audio freak (studio stuff is more important that I remember -- all I know is it sounds like a concert in there )

KID
    Good Lord Kid - what sort of car do you have?

Go Back to forum