• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Don't Feed The Trolls

Share/Bookmark

Don't Feed The Trolls

Everyone, Please remember the #2 rule of Forums:

Don't Feed The Trolls

When someone posts something obviously imflammatory and non-constructive, the very best response is to do NOTHING. Just ignore, don't reply and go do something else, somewhere else, constructive - and then the Troll will just scroll out of site.

And oh, the #1 Rule - Don't Be A Troll

Thank you and happy Forum Browsing

Re: Don't Feed The Trolls

You mean (we-all-know-who)? I wouldn't consider him a troll so much as a "Negative Nelly", but yeah, same thing applies, I suppose.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Wink Re: Don't Feed The Trolls

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    Everyone, Please remember the #2 rule of Forums:

Don't Feed The Trolls

When someone posts something obviously imflammatory and non-constructive, the very best response is to do NOTHING. Just ignore, don't reply and go do something else, somewhere else, constructive - and then the Troll will just scroll out of site.

And oh, the #1 Rule - Don't Be A Troll

Thank you and happy Forum Browsing
    I agree.
    The violation came from human weakness...

...Personally I find my self writing too much words, and not enough music recently, I promise that I try to invert the trend...;-)

[QUOTE=YBaCuO]Everyone, Please remember the #2 rule of Forums:

Don't Feed The Trolls

I hope you're not refering to me!

Tim
    Timothy Rolls, DMA
    Assistant Professor of Music Theory/Composition/Technology
    Fort Hays State University

Due to the fact that composing hasn't been very financially rewarding these days, I have been forced to live under a bridge. Down there my only neighbours are bridge trolls. While the bridge trolls certainly have no ear for music, they are a much maligned group. Condemning them to starvation is simply too cruel. Hunger amongst the trolls is rampant! If anything, we should all band together to form a "Feed the Trolls" campaign to put an end to troll hunger worldwide. Lets do it for the children, um, trolls.

I actually have some bad memories from trolls. We once bought a troll at wal-mart to use as a house slave. Unfortunately, he was too short to reach the places he needed to dust, he ate our goldfish, he unwrapped all our presents on Christmas, and he had fun watching foods get sucked up by the garbage dispenser in the sink. Unfortunately, wal-mart did not allow troll returns, so we had to cook him and eat him. It was tough meat, but with BBQ sauce, it was a pretty enjoyable meal.

So, by feeding the trolls, you encourage them, and they start to depend on you. What should happen is the governments should collect all the trolls and create troll farms to feed, breed, and prepare trolls for sale at wal-mart, but for the food section.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

From the netizen guide to flame warriors: www.flamewarriors.com:

Troller is looking for a response...ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone...ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless - practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.

For Ego, the discussion forum is all about him, and he regards discussions that stray from that topic as trivial dalliances. Although tolerant of an occasional shift in focus, Ego grows increasingly restive when the forum's attention shifts away from his interests, and he will often provoke conflict to reestablish himself as the subject at hand. Ego is one the the fiercest of all the Warriors and will fight to the death when attacked.

Ferrous Cranus is utterly impervious to reason, persuasion and new ideas, and when engaged in battle he will not yield an inch in his position regardless of its hopelessness. Though his thrusts are decisively repulsed, his arguments crushed in every detail and his defenses demolished beyond repair he will remount the same attack again and again with only the slightest variation in tactics. Sometimes out of pure frustration Philosopher will try to explain to him the failed logistics of his situation, or Therapist will attempt to penetrate the psychological origins of his obduracy, but, ever unfathomable, Ferrous Cranus cannot be moved.

Like his Congressional namesake, Filibuster attempts to influence the forum simply by holding the floor. His monotonous hectoring and prodigious output of verbiage rapidly clears the field of other Warriors.

Nitpick compensates for his limited fighting ability by pouncing on points that are only marginally relevant to the discussion. For example, if his opponent in a sports forum conflict casually mentioned the Cubs' 4-2 victory in the 1908 World Series, Nitpick would quickly counterattack with something like, "4-2 !? Any moron knows the Cubs won the Series 4-1! Someone so ignorant about baseball history can't possibly know anything about salary caps!" Even if the minor point is conceded by his opponent Nitpick will return to it whenever the battle turns against him. Though weak, Nitpick is very tenacious and will never admit defeat. Nitpick is a close ally of Artful Dodger.

Artful Dodger is a nimble and elusive Warrior. When strongly attacked he changes the subject with a diversionary counterattack. For example, if in a moment of pique his opponent refers to him to him as a "sonofabitch", Artful Dodger will not only demand a public apology for the insult to his own mother, but will castigate his opponent on behalf all mothers everywhere. Knowing full well that staying on topic works to his disadvantage, Artful Dodger will not allow himself to be pinned down.

Rebel Without a Clue's deep seated and infantile hostility to authority motivates his random and seemingly gratuitous attacks on list owners, Admins, Nannies or anyone else who attempts to maintain order and civility in discussion forums. Differing markedly from Rebel Leader, he is unattached to any cause other than petulance for its own sake, and will therefore seldom inspire general insurrection. In his frequent and ineffectual attacks on the established order he will often cite the Bible, or the US Constitution to support incoherent arguments. Rebel Without a Clue NEVER reads forum FAQs , and loudly decries as fascism any enforcement whatsoever of forum rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    From the netizen guide to flame warriors: www.flamewarriors.com:

These are just too funny. I'll have to read the whole web site and see if I'm one of the web warriors - just hopefully not the iron head....
    Trent P. McDonald

Cool Re: Don't Feed The Trolls

Nice Gary...

I understand that a sort of Filibuster-Ego-Troller is hidden in the dark side of everyone of us...

But you correctly show that something worse and more dangerous exist in the warriors world...

Keep off....

Here's me:

Jekyll & Hyde -

As a forum participant Jekyll and Hyde always plays by the rules and is consistently cordial and helpful – a model netizen, until one day he comes completely uncorked and lashes out without warning. His unanticipated thunderbolts can temporarily rout even the sturdiest Warriors, and it often takes some time for his stunned opponents to mount a counter attack. Jekyll and Hyde’s sudden behavioral change may result from a psychotic episode, PMS, a downturn in the market, a surprise visit by the in-laws – or a session of hard drinking...

I had enough dammit. I just can't take it anymore. Take that you freakin troll.

Yes, yes, I lost it. I did indeed call someone a horses arse.

Go Back to forum