• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music for the Media

Music for the Media

So I just received some "junk mail" via snail mail, but this time it was actually interesting. It is a flyer for the "Music for the Media" program (an educational program offered via the web). If you look at the bottom, there is a picture and endorsement from our friend Scott Cairns (a frequent poster on this forum)! So Scott, do you really recommend the Music for the Media program, or did they force an endorsement at gun point? Just kidding!! Please share your thoughts, as I'm interested in the program.

Has anyone else here been through the program? If so, what are your opinions?

Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer

Re: Music for the Media

Hi Todd, no I wasnt forced, but the new Yellow Ferrari I received rides like a dream!

The course is very helpful, particularly if you havent scored to picture before or written in different styles. It will take you out of your comfort zone and encourage you to try new things which is always a good thing.

I didnt end up finishing cause I got so busy with real composing jobs. Im not complaining though!
    - SCA - Sound Studios -

I signed up for the course, because the opportunity arose for me to get the funding free. I'm a teacher, and the government thought it would make a cool soundbite for them if they suddenly gave teachers in their 4th and 5th years a cheque towards continuing professional development. So all I had to do was argue that this course would improve my ability to teach 15 year olds about film music and I got the money.

Unfortunately I never even managed the first assignment. Between teaching, having two kids, a nightmare two year house move, a fairly hefty concert schedule, marking papers for two exam boards and a period when my gigamachine was dead, I just never really found the time. I suppose, having never used the services of my tutor, I could beg them to let me start from now, but I don't expect things would be much different.

The materials were ok though. They certainly did encourage you out of your comfort zones with each assignment. I'd recommend the course to anyone who has time.

Question Re: Music for the Media

Got link?

Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music

- SCA - Sound Studios -

I'm on the 'Music for the Media' course at the moment, about two thirds of the way through. Basically all the blurb on the website is absolutely spot on. You get exactly what they say, and if it looks like it will be useful to you, I'd recommend it without hesitation.

It's not specifically focussed on games though. There is one unit specifically looking at writing music for games and it's an early unit (Unit 2) so it's relatively straightforward (the course gets gradually move involved as you would expect, and really kicks in about Unit 4 where you start writing to picture for a documentary).

One thing to consider is that MFTM has negotiated eligibility for educational discounts with quite a few suppliers (e.g. here in the UK - 'Time and Space', 'Music Village' (the educational arm of 'Digital Village')). As a result, with a few purchases, I've saved more with educational discounts than the cost of the course.

Another thing is that they are currently using 'Version 2' of the course. They are planning 'Version 3', which is intended to be far more flexible, with more up to date information, new video clips, and more choice for students. It might be worth waiting a while for Version 3 to kick in, although there hasn't been a timescale for that published yet, so I don't know how long that is away.

Delighted you got the Ferrari. I did ask them for the black leather interior. Hope they did it for you.

I wrote and run MFTM because people kept phoning me up and asking how to get into the business so I came with this as a practical business orientated approach. 1200 students later....

There have been huge changes in the business over the last few years which largely means there are a lot more people writing media music but fewer of them making a full time living out of it because the rates have gone down. In other words, whether you do a course or not on no account give up the day job!!!! I had one guy who had given up his job taken out a $50,000 bank loan and couldn't understand why he wasn't getting any work!

It is a great business though, really satisfying and well worth all the trouble. Even if you're doing low budget shorts for nothing, you'll get a real buzz out of putting music to picture.

Guy Michelmore

on the end of the bow...

Unhappy Re: Music for the Media

This is a fine course i think.... but for now for me is a bit pricey
    Need to collect money for at least 6 months to attend

I know its not cheap. We do do interest free credit and the educational discounts can save you more than the price of the course!

Go Back to forum