• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dual or quad processors

Share/Bookmark

Dual or quad processors

How much would dual or quad processors help running GS? Is it even supported? I\'d like to run VST24/3.7 and GS concurrently. Does GS run in NT? Oooooooh... quad Xeons at 800Mhz...OK, I woke up.

John

Re: Dual or quad processors

GS doesn\'t yet run on a multi-processor operating system. I expect that after Win 2000 is finally released Nemesys will rewrite the GS code to be Windows 2000 compatible. GS will then finally run on a multi-processor system.

Q for Tech Support:

If Gigastudio is supporting W2000...does that mean it supports dual processor? If so, is it advisable to run a GS on the same two-processor PC together with other audio programs? Or run it together on a single-processor machine? If on the same computer, same audio card or dedicated audio card?

And last: Should I get Gsampler now and upgrade, or is it better to wait and get Gstudio when it comes out?

I am also planning an new computers and it would be nice to know if Gigastudio will support native SMP on NT?

Second question: with thet new 7200 RPM IDE drives like the UltraDMA 66 DiamondMax® plus 40, do we still need SCSI?

Anybody?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>...with thet new 7200 RPM IDE drives like the UltraDMA 66 DiamondMax® plus 40, do we still need SCSI?

Anybody?[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the modern ATA drives are more than adequate. Also even if Gigastudio doesn\'t support dual processors, dual processing will still be a good thing for people who run a sequencer at the same time. (the theory being that Windows 2000 will distribute each app to different CPU\'s)

-david

In regards to whether or not we still need SCSI with the new busmastering UltraDMA IDE drives. I believe that the current wisdom is that for Gigasampler at least, the UltraDMA drives are a little better because they don\'t hog PCI bus bandwidth.

It is my understanding that SCSI drives are still theoretically a bit better for hard disk recording since they can read and write at the same time. IDE drives switch back and forth incredibly fast, but still must be either in read mode or write mode. Be that as it may, I seem to have no problem with IDE drives as long as I keep my Gigasampler and Cakewalk Audio tracks on separate hard drives. I have a SCSI chain as well, but I don\'t have any high performance drives on it...they\'re just so gosh darn expensive, and the UltraDMA drives work so well. I\'m not even using UltraDMA 66! UltraDMA 33 so far is working just fine.

Does anyone know how much extra throughput UltraDMA 66 actually gives? Is the \"66\" refer to a quick little burst of data or is it sustained data transfer that you can actually use. Isn\'t the seek time between the individual bits of data the important spec for us?

I just the Asus p2b-s with on-board u2w SCSI.

Does anyone know if this SCSI host hogs the PCI bus as well?

My choice of SCSI is based on the following thoughts:

This interface provides read access on more than one (<15) drive simultaneously - as opposed to ATA.

I design multi-instrumental music with each instrument on its own midichannel.

Since Gigasampler/Gigastudio is very dependent on low seek time, my plan is to divide instrument groups on several SCSI drives.

According to my theory, this will reduce latency (fewer instruments/voices per harddrive) and increase the potential number of midi tracks/instruments.

Does this sound reasonable?

Please comment

I have bought the same mobo for GS, John.
    Wait for the Quantum Atlas 10K II. they are supposed to be the fastest thing on earth for the near future.

You also can combine UltraATA ide drives with SCSI. For IDE go for the Quantum Diamond Plus (up to 40 gigs for cheap mass drives). Again Quantum is the fastest IDE drive around.

A last word: check your Revision nr. If it reads 1.06 and ytou have the latest bios 1.012 then you can have dual Coppermines (up to 800Mhz in the affordable future)and 133 Mhz bus speed. These are undocumented features.

For the moment I settled for dual celerons 500.

Hope this helps

You read my thoughts on the Atlas 10K II - Quantum\'s press release says 40 Mb/s sustained data rate (that\'s almost twice the speed of my Barracuda).

Regarding dual CPUs, I guess it requires a P2B-DS (with a \"D\"), which is for privileged people ;-) , but my P2B-S may support Cu-mine - that\'s good news.

Thanks

The following comes from alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    There are differences in what the German and other Asus websites have to say
    about coppermines on P2B-D, P2B-DS, P2B-L, P2B-S, P2B-LS. Please read
    another thread in this newsgroup where there are extensive reports of
    testing coppermines on rev 1.06 of the P2B-DS board.
    http://www.asuscom.de/de/support/techmain/FAQ/mobo_cpu/faq077_Pentium_III_CU
    .htm

Your cited page is a copy of the (imho wrong) Taiwanse page.

--
    Ferdinand Oeinck,
    Big Roses Software
    Grote Rozenstraat 47a
    9712 TG Groningen
    The Netherlands
    tel: +31503186292

Chris Cook <cefcookNO@SPAMcwcom.net> wrote in message
    news:IsNo4.24881$PG6.173049@news2-hme0...
    > http://www.asuscom.de/Products/Techref/Cpu/Coppermine/index.html
    >
    > Is this out of date?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Chris
    > Birmingham, UK
    > \"Rick Lindsay\" <lcs@\"jump\".net> wrote in message
    > news:eyvaqfnlwhzcarg.fpqsze3.pminews@news.jump.net ...
    > > On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:30:32 -0000, Chris Cook wrote:
    > >
    > > >P2B-LS will not support any Coppermine and never will.
    > > >Max is Katmai 600MHz at whatever bus speed you can crank it to.
    > >
    > > I think you are wrong Chris because the P2B-S now supports the
    > > coppermine slot 1 pin out, and comes with functional 133Mhz FSB
    settings,
    > > so the -LS, which is the same board just adding the LAN chip and port,
    > > will surely appear shortly supporting the coppermines.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Rick Lindsay, Lindsay Computer Systems, http://www.lc-sys.com
    > > Austin, Texas. 512-719-5257. Asus based systems, Asus Products.
    > > Advanced Systems.
    > > This message is SHAREWARE, please register...
    > >
    > >

Go Back to forum