• Register
  • Help

Topic: Crash!

Share/Bookmark

Crash!

Hi everyone,

I have a problem in that my PC keeps crashing. I do not think that there is any direct link to either of the two programs that I will mention, becasue they have both worked without any problem whatsoever until today, however I have only experienced the crash under the following circumstances -

With Finale 2005 playing back through GPO Studio (only five solo instruments loaded) I am getting repeated random crashes - not blue screens, just the PC instantaneously powering down as though the power cable was pulled out. The only thing I can think of is a possible hardware problem with memory? I have 1.5 Gb installed and haven't opened the case for 12 months.

The only new software I have installed is Sonar 4 Producer, but I do not have this running (nor have I had it running and then closed it in the same session) when the problem occurs.

I have checked power cables, power leads etc., for loose connections.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Crash!

Hi Richard!

To help you troubleshoot, go to your "system" control panel and click on the “advanced tab”. There you will find three things listed: “Performance”, “User Profiles”, and “Startup and Recovery”. Click “settings” in “Startup and Recovery”. Look under “System Failure” - uncheck “Automatically restart”. Now, if it chokes, at least you should have some clue as to what is causing the trouble. Sounds like a registry thing...may need cleaning (with proper tools).
    If it is not re-booting, but rather shutting off - even after unchecking the box, let us know.

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Another thing to consider is,,,,since you mentioned you have not opened the case in a year would indicate to me that the fan filters are probably clogged and the PC is simply shutting down because of excessive heat. Of course, this is not the problem if the pc shuts down right away, but if it only happens after a short while, then you may want to take the computer outside and blow it out carefully, and clean the filters on the fans if they have any.

dpDan

Thanks Dan and Brian,

I have already unchecked "automatically close down" and it makes no difference.

I had considered the fan thing - I checked it was still blowing out air, but I guess it's worth opening the box up and checking out for dust.

I have to admit I'm a smoker (along with Mrs N.) so stuff is more prone to getting sticky and covered wth dust.

Perhaps this is the time for us both to give up to protect both our computers and our lungs!

I'll report back after I've made busy with my screwdrivers and careful cleaning.

Cheers,
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Well I've got the case off, and both fans (one general and one on the CPU) aren't spotless, but they are blowing air OK.

I've been running Finale and GPO for a little while now and no unexpected shutdowns - so perhaps it is a ventialtion thing as I still have the case off.

I carry on working with it like this for a few hours tonight to see what happens - then put the case back on and see what happens then.

BTW - Brian if you think it could a registry thing, is there a registry cleaner that you would recommend?
    Richard N.

I've been running Finale and GPO for a little while now and no unexpected shutdowns - so perhaps it is a ventialtion thing as I still have the case off.

You mean to tell me that Dan sussed this thing and out did me in computer nerdhood ? OUCH! My aching ego!!!
    BTW - Brian if you think it could a registry thing, is there a registry cleaner that you would recommend?
    Well, you may be o.k. now, but I use 2 tools to keep my registry clean and shiny :

(Be careful though, if you pick one or both up read about the undo procedure before using…):
    (if you get just one...get this one):
    http://www.v-com.com/product/SystemSuite_Home.html

and:

http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/index.cfm

(At current exchange rate pounds to dollars, they should pay you to take them...LOL)

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    You mean to tell me that Dan sussed this thing and out did me in computer nerdhood ? OUCH! My aching ego!!!

I don't think so Brian.... LOL

Go Back to forum