• Register
  • Help

Topic: Latency Problems

Share/Bookmark

Latency Problems

Hi All,

I have a question for the group. I'm running GPO on a seperate P4 3.2 Gig processor with 2 gig of ram. When the full orchestra is playing I get pops and clicks.

I can adjust the latency on my sound card (midiman audiophile 2496) to compensate for this and it sounds clear however then I can't sync my other synths on my Sonar computer. The latency is too long. Would a better sound card such as the lynxone fix this problem or is this a problem with the midi ports itself?

Thanks for your help,

Steve Lewis

Re: Latency Problems

Quote Originally Posted by stevel
    Hi All,

I have a question for the group. I'm running GPO on a seperate P4 3.2 Gig processor with 2 gig of ram. When the full orchestra is playing I get pops and clicks.

I can adjust the latency on my sound card (midiman audiophile 2496) to compensate for this and it sounds clear however then I can't sync my other synths on my Sonar computer. The latency is too long. Would a better sound card such as the lynxone fix this problem or is this a problem with the midi ports itself?

Thanks for your help,

Steve Lewis
    Actually, it´s not a problem of midi ports, but has to do with the way audio is handled in DAWs. The trick is that the audio latency is measured, and the midi signals sent to your other synths are simply delayed accordingly. As I am using cubase (which takes care of these problems automatically), I can´t help you with Sonar, but I am pretty sure that this is possible with Sonar as well. Surely someone else will be able to help...

Re: Latency Problems

Quote Originally Posted by efreitag
    Actually, it´s not a problem of midi ports, but has to do with the way audio is handled in DAWs. The trick is that the audio latency is measured, and the midi signals sent to your other synths are simply delayed accordingly. As I am using cubase (which takes care of these problems automatically), I can´t help you with Sonar, but I am pretty sure that this is possible with Sonar as well. Surely someone else will be able to help...

Hi,

I'm not too sure if this the problem. The breakup is on another machine then Sonar. When I change the latency on the sound card for that other (GPO) machine (which is triggered by midi from my Sonar machine) is when there is a delay. I'm taking this as there is a problem with the sound card in the GPO machine and not the Sonar machine. My Sonar machine is handling 24 tracks of digital I/O and 12 midi ports without any problem (4 of the 12 are for GPO).

Somehow I belive that it is the sound card in the machine running GPO that can't handle it. When I use a different driver then ASIO there isn't any breakups, or I should say that I can eliminate the breakups with the driver but then the midi lags behind the Sonar machine. Does that make sense?

One thing I should note is that the latency change is with the DMA mode on the 2496 on the GPO machine not the Sonar machine.

Thanks for your reply.

Go Back to forum