• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mac Guy With Dumb PC Question..

Share/Bookmark

Mac Guy With Dumb PC Question..

Someone sent me a CD Audio disc. When I put it in my Mac to copy the audio files over, the Mac started copying, then abruptly stopped and said "The operation could not be completed because the files could not be read."

I put the CD into a standard CD player, and they play fine.

So then, I got the idea of seeing if I could copy them to my P4. I put the CD in, the PC sees it, but when I try to drag the audio files over to an available hard disc, the PC just makes a shortcut to them. How do I get them onto the PC, so I can reburn a DATA CD and try them again in my Mac?

Thanks
    Tom

Re: Mac Guy With Dumb PC Question..

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    Someone sent me a CD Audio disc. When I put it in my Mac to copy the audio files over, the Mac started copying, then abruptly stopped and said "The operation could not be completed because the files could not be read."

I put the CD into a standard CD player, and they play fine.

So then, I got the idea of seeing if I could copy them to my P4. I put the CD in, the PC sees it, but when I try to drag the audio files over to an available hard disc, the PC just makes a shortcut to them. How do I get them onto the PC, so I can reburn a DATA CD and try them again in my Mac?

Thanks
    Tom
    On the PC, try highlighting them and clicking on the "copy" and/ or "move" button. Then open the folder wher you want to place the audio wave and click on the "paste" command.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

OK I see how to do that.

But when you do it, you end up with a file that PROPERTIES says is on 44 bytes. When you put in the Mac, the Mac sees it as a CDA file, whatever that is.

The orginal CD he sent says the file types are "CD AUDIO TRACK"....open with "WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER".

Can someone get me out of hell here? I thought these would be WAV or AIF files, etc. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks
    Tom

CDA is just Compact Disc Audio. These files have no other purpose than selecting them for playback and holding some track information. You'll have to make wave files of the audio tracks first. You can get a demo of Audiograbber here: http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

Yeah, I am sorry if I was wrong. You might need a "cd ripper" program to take the audio wave off the CD. Audiograbber should do it.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    CDA is just Compact Disc Audio. These files have no other purpose than selecting them for playback and holding some track information. You'll have to make wave files of the audio tracks first. You can get a demo of Audiograbber here: http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

Got it, works great! Thanks so much. I'm used to the Mac just doing this without a special program, but all's well that ends well.

Thanks to all.

Tom

Tom, On the Mac side you can just use iTunes to rip them next time. Under iTunes preferences you can choose which format to rip them into...aiff, wav Mp3, etc

Well, I guess it doesn't matter now but Windows Media Player can be used to rip audio cds. Although it may only do WMA and MP3, not uncompressed WAV. I'd have to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    Tom, On the Mac side you can just use iTunes to rip them next time. Under iTunes preferences you can choose which format to rip them into...aiff, wav Mp3, etc
    Marty, though the disc would mount in the the OSX Finder, iTunes never saw it. Strange.

TH

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hey Tom,

You can also put iTunes on the PC, and set it up to rip to uncompressed WAV.

Go Back to forum