• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Probably a well-known fact, but I just discovered it and I think it's COOL!!

Share/Bookmark

Probably a well-known fact, but I just discovered it and I think it's COOL!!

If you want a horn playing a melody with harmony by another horn, but don't want the harmony to be so strong, you can use a clarinet!!

This is probably a very basic idea in orchestration, but I just discovered it today while working on my orchestration duel peice. It works very well!!

-Chris

Thumbs up Re: Probably a well-known fact, but I just discovered it and I think it's COOL!!

I don't know if it works in the same way if played by real instruments life (because of difference in dynamic level the piano of the horn and of the clarinet are not the same, but in electronic mix it's easy to manage), but the use of woods beside horns is correct.

Another similar intersting combination is with the bassoon, in both low or higher register.

Re: Probably a well-known fact, but I just discovered it and I think it's COOL!!

Horns and bassoons combine very well. For examples, see Mendelssohn's "Italian" Symphony (in the middle of the third movement, I think), the prelude to act III of "Die Meistersinger" (a minute or two in), or the beginning of the prelude to "Hansel und Gretel" (yes, that "Hansel und Gretel!")
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: Probably a well-known fact, but I just discovered it and I think it's COOL!!

Ahhhh.......
    Bassoons.
    Now why didn't I think of that?
    I'll try it!

Thanx,
    Chris

Lightbulb Re: Probably a well-known fact, but I just discovered it and I think it's COOL!!

If you need a traditional reference (with a gazillion observations about instrumentation and more score citations than print) you really can't beat "Treatise on Instrumentation" by Hector Berlioz (with revisions by Richard Strauss). Here's an Amazon link. For $18.33 (US) it's worth its hefty weight in gold for "traditional instrumentation" thinking. (Then you can develop your own variations and innovations based on a good foundation.)

i hope this helps ... KevinKauai

Thanks for the link!

Pretty cool stuff, being written by the great composers themselves!

-Chris

I do love the Treatise, but I must make note that it is very outdated with everything except the strings.

Kent Kennan's "The Technique of Orchestration" is the standard on the bookshelves of a lot of concert composers and professors.

As for the Horn with woodwinds, by most standards it is almost more of a woodwind than a brass instrument in orchestration. Hence its position on the score above the trumpets.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Bassoons are great and useful instruments for many applications. One I have been using most often (until the new Jazz Lib is available) is in place of saxophones. For Bari, bassoon works nice.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Bassoons are great and useful instruments for many applications. One I have been using most often (until the new Jazz Lib is available) is in place of saxophones. For Bari, bassoon works nice.

Some bassoonists I know might resent that!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

These are the kind of tips and tricks I'd like to see more of. If we could all just share a few of the standard trick or non-standrad tricks for making unique timbres.

Or ways to get lines to cut thru thick chords.

Or observatiions why certain instrument combinations are avoided (or chosen).

Go Back to forum